180gal set up!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishhooked

Aquarium Advice Activist
Well i started getting my 180 together today. Had to get some feeders for my red tail, so I just threw em in there to help the process :) got an HOB emperor 400 and just a reg HOB lg wal mart filter. But as of last night I ordered an api xp lg canister filter. Prob still gonna keep the 400 too. I got a smaller powerhead to help with the current for now. And when I switch tanks il also have a 21in led bubble curtain. I'm up for any suggestions to improve on things. This is 130gal more then I'm experienced with:)

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130608_234758.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130608_234758.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 65
  • ForumRunner_20130608_234823.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130608_234823.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 63
  • ForumRunner_20130608_234848.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130608_234848.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 61
  • ForumRunner_20130608_234927.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130608_234927.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 70
Well there are millions of ways to go with this adventure. First order of the day tropicals or cold / room temp water fish? Next some very large display fish or a thrieving community tank.

Avoid, goldfish-too messy. Cichlids will look nice if you don't want any plants fake or live. You need to come up with at least one primary or just wanted resident and we can help you fill in hte gaps.

I'm partial to common things made odd. You tyically don't see 4"4-1/2 Pearl Gouramis, but you can grow them big in a tank like that. Same with swordtails 4" no problem. How about a Cherax Qu. for the bottom, 12" (+) blue crayfish? Depending on the fish, a few marbled crayfish will consistently produce food for the fish.

Give the rest of us a hint where you're headed.

Well this all started for a red tail catfish. Which I know is still to small but hey its a better start then some people. So basically that's my first hump.. And I guess as u said I could fill in the gaps from there:)

I would like some live plants and stuff, but also know it'd take away space I need. Thanks for the ideas. Would they work with a red tail.. Here's my red tails history with mates.

The first night in our community tank, we had a smaller tetra go missing. The 2nd night he killed a balloon molly. So i moved him to a 10gal cause my 55 was coming for him within the a couple days. And I had fish in there I didnt want to lose. Since then he's been alone, except feeders. Which il admit bad idea starting him on those. Now he won't touch pellets. Then last night I tried adding an Oscar about his size(2 1/2in),i guess maybe a little smaller. But anyways within mins he was trying to eat it. So what are some ways I could introduce some of these fish with him? Buy em bigger and meaner?

put the most peaceful fish in the tank first and then the most aggressive last.... with an extra 170gs of soace they may not fight... whenever you add a new fish to a tank with a aggressive fish you should always remove the mean fish until the new fish are settled and then re add the mean fish...

Thanks. As I said in the post minus the Oscar I'm still cycling. And I just recently found snail in my cats tank.. Pisssssed me off. I have 40$ of black sand in there that I want to move to the 180. So im trying to treat it for them to save the sand. So my point being, once I do get the set up finished il have more hiding spits and stuff like that.

Well i think i Finished stocking my 180 today . I know it's gonna get crazy eventually but None of these fish are over 5in. So spare me the "that's to small" comments please.

So now it's inhabitants are..
1-Red tail catfish
1-spotted pike cichlid
1- black ghost knife and
1-shovelnose catfish.

I should have at least a couple months before I have to upgrade the tank now:)

Back
Top Bottom