20g high ideas?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TankerJs

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey everyone I just got a free 20g high today. it came with an undergravel filter (lol), a penguin 300 powerhead, and a triple gang valve. I talked to my teacher about it and he said he would trade me a hood and power filter for the equipment. SCORE! I have a heater being mailed to me too :). I put the substrate it (mix between black sand and natural gravel)...but now i need ideas on stocking. I have some cycle left over and I will begin dosing tomorrow once I hook the filter up.
Any ideas on what would stock it well? It's so tall, and I kind of wanted some crayfish...do you think i could put 2 in? they are a smaller breed (max of 3in)
I also want some sort of schooling fish. If you have a total stocking idea list it :) thanks for your help guys!

Since you're gonna stock with crayfish, you'll definitely want to avoid fish that are slow and hang out at the bottom. I'd probably go with some fast moving Tetras (Cardinals, Embers, Red Minors, Von Rios, or Rummies). Cherry Barbs are cool too. Or some Zebra Danios (regular, long fin, or glofish). Endlers.

here's what I would do:

15x phoenix rasboras or galaxy rasboras
3x horned nerite snails
6x zebra otos
and a pair of dwarf orange crayfish. (fish safe, unlike the larger blue ones)

If you'd like to do live plants, here is my stocklist for that:
5x anubias nana petite
3x java fern
12x corkscrew vallisneria (as a background)
15x dwarf sagittaria

I think that would look great in a 20 tall :)

herp_mommy said:
and a pair of dwarf orange crayfish. (fish safe, unlike the larger blue ones)

I've been trying to find the mexican orange dwarf cf with no luck from any of the LFS in AZ and Cali. I only came across blues myself. You have one?

The crayfish I mentioned are actually neither. They are freshwater lobsters (red lobster) that reach only 3-5" :) they are fish and even shrimp safe! I think I have actually decided on another idea! I might do a 2/3 full (about 13 gallons full) and put a land portion on and get some Fire Bellied newts. I would also like to get a fish to go with them. I think rosy red minnows are a good choice since they are too big to be eaten, and they are a cold water fish. So I think my final idea is 2 fire bellies and 4-5 red rosies :)

Back
Top Bottom