20L has been upgraded to a 55g

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Laeris

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I haven't ever messed with anything above 30. All I want are shrimp and little guys like the CPD and ember tetra. I'm ecstatic, don't get me wrong but whoa. It's like ordering a slider for a snack and being handed a $10 triple decker.

Can I treat it like an overgrown 20/30g? Cycling rules still apply, sure. So unprepared! Really sticking to moss and ricciocarpus natans, what kind of light do you put on that? @_@ Wait, are FW aquariums just like pound cake? Simply increase exponentially, you're good?

Basically upgrading is just upgrading everything. Not much if actually "different" you still have filters, heaters, lights, just larger to accompany the tank size.

Caleb

My biggest jump was from a 30g to a 75g. Went with 2 heaters, 2 AC filters. Otherwise treated it the same as my other tanks (y)

I know this feels. What'd you wind up doing for lights?
I was given a used 55g
black sturdy wooden stand
AquaticLife 48" T5HO 4 bulb + LED moonlights fixture
6 extra bulbs
Canister filter and heater
My friend is testing heaters and filters to give me the best for my tank.

A club member has some sand, may get more on CL or from hardware store.

Ill get plants thru my club and trimmings from my 10g

The bulbs vary. 4 are 6,500K 4 are rose colored and 2 are SW
Luckily the light is programmable so may only need 2 bulbs most of the time. 4 for midday blast if I add CO2

Sent from my LG-V410 using Tapatalk

I love lights like that! I so look forward to seeing how this turns out. This is such an adventure! I'm sure you can post here if there's any bits you'd like to add, though you've got everything covered :) Let us know what your friend comes up with, it's always interesting to find out which manufacturer is jockeying to the lead year by year.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1446545178.074862.jpg
    ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1446545178.074862.jpg
    121.8 KB · Views: 155
Oh, he got me a 40 breeder instead. I sent off to Swiss Tropicals for a corner HMF kit, pump and heater. I ordered some Ricciocarpus Natans from Hans and those will be here Thursday. I'll get them going in the 5g, and move a few over to the 40 once the cycle is going. I'm sure they'll grow well while I'm adding ammonia and I'll be able to send some out sooner than later. Probably going to corral them to the side opposite the filter.

I'm shelving the Iwagumi idea for now. Maybe I'll redo the 5g for it. I'm going to go for a corner craggy cliff in frontish (it'd be death to block it) of the HMF. Mister is going to help me set up a sprayer to fake a waterfall, aiming for 100+ gph. To cammo the gap and filter, I'll use fissidens mossed mats because ferns and waterfalls, amirite? I'm going to attempt to get relatives up in the Shasta area to send some small manzanita clusters that may work to look like bushes growing out of the cliff. Not sure what variant of moss to use, as fissidens will be serving as ferns. I have time! I'm going to mix black sand with Fluval Plant and Shrimp, maybe ADA Amazon (Conflicting pH, but I'm still braining!) for the base substrate and run a line of multi-hue sand to the other side of the tank where it'll seem to disappear into a moss "bog", moss painted cholla will serve as fallen trees and I'll do untrimmed dwarf hairgrass hassocks.

I love that reddish plant in one of TheresaM's recent photos. I want to put some of those as a sort of interesting "wooded" area by the rock. Perma-autumn! I'm going to try piling up substrate banks for the river (higher in back of course) and place small, smooth stones to lend to the overall river effect. Probably going to stick with dwarf hairgrass for general carpet. Not really sure what to plant along the river for bushes and the like. I know I want to attempt a smallish (huge if we consider scale) tree after the copse of autumnal trees but before half mark, on the lower and nearer to front bank. The shrimp will appreciate more cover; maybe something that looks piney, so alder cones fit in. Think cholla stick happy trees en mass from 2/3 mark across to the bog, fro, back to within an inch or two of the river which will be in the front 1/4 of the tank. I'm going to look for crushed red lava rock to help with biofilter. It'll also be pretty in with the dhg.

I'd really appreciate any ideas on small ferny sweeties for the river banks. I'm also going to look for some sort of flat moss to coat river rocks with. I haven't bought any lighting yet and I have zero interest in dealing with co2, so fussy Frannies will languish and possibly die, leaving me feeling guilty. >_< I'm sure there are pitfalls I'm not seeing. The cliff has to be done first, then the forest and bog. The rest can be added in whenevs.

This is going to be breeding grounds for dream blue velvets and home of five otocinclus and a handful of female galaxy rasboras (CPD) with two or three males. Beta males don't get to breed. My ember tetra will be moving into the other 5g and my current 5g will be a spawning tank for the rasboras. Few females in and well fed away from the male, then put him in and wait for them to work their magic, then get them back to the mainland. Win!

Yeah I wanted a 40b , but free and delivered worked, so I got 55g. GL Laeris on your tank adventure.

I'll try posting a build thread if I remember to get pics.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mister got the wood to build the stand today. Once the fellow at Swiss Tropicals gets back from travels, I'll be ordering the custom corner Hamberg Mattenfilter. After initial contact, he gave me a suggestion for an appropriate submersible pump I'm going to take. I will likely wind up putting a stainless steel mesh across the front of the corner HMF so when time comes, I can pull the foam for cleaning without completely wrecking house. Mister, who used to build ponds commercially in VA, is going to devise a sort of spray bar to emulate a waterfall that will have good circulating flow without plastering the shrimp against the opposite wall or, frankly, not doing any good at all. This may involve getting a higher gph pump and setting up a hydra (multi-head) output to ensure the waterfall effect + complete circulation. I think it'd be interesting to have low flow water vents off the wall side of the rock to ensure there won't be any dead spots.

I'm going to go with Miracle Gro Organic Potting soil, covered with a cotton/poly blend canvas mesh (Graph N' Latch Canvas, 36-Inch by 60-Inch, Amazon, 5 holes per inch) topped with red clay, which will in turn be covered by black sand. It amuses me the most expensive part in this setup will be the substrate, not the lights. The mesh will help me keep things in place, and off the filter after I wet, knead (that's how we get air out of bread dough :D) and shape the potting soil base landscape. The 36" side of the mesh will go across the short side to make sure of full coverage, as it's easier to trim off than it is to add on. I figure the nutrients will filter up through the mesh into the clay while keeping the largest MTS out of it for a little while until the cotton melts. By then, the top layers will be well set. Polyester is often used in floss filtration, so I have no worries there. The mesh be run through sanitize cycle in my front loader with vinegar to make sure it's safe. To assist with bio and add a little realism to the picture, I'll be scattering bits of crushed red lava rock in the ground cover. If you've ever been up to northern California around the Shasta area, you'll see the stuff ev ur whur from when Shasta was active.

Other than the water added to wet the potting soil, the rest of the planting will be done before the tank is filled. I'm going to use Indian Almond Bark curls and green filter sponge to make the "pine trees" with chopped peacock moss packed into the sponge. It'll take a while to grow out, but I suspect the end result will be lovely. The "willow" tree planned for the front 1/3 area past the waterfall will be manzanita (as soon as I find an appropriate piece), with bits of green sponge stuffed with weeping moss. On the tops of the branches, I'll have fluffy bits glued on with thin strips of sponge (1 cm) to make sure the willow effect happens. We'll see if it winds up a disaster hahaha The idea is with the eventual water flow, the willow should appear to be blowing in the wind. It may be that this gets grown out separately, and added in when it's well-established.

I've decided to go with Finnex Planted+ 24/7, which Amazon has at the mo for 116/ea. I'll see how it goes with one, since most of the plants will be low light (moss abound!), but fully prepared to get two.

Again, if anyone sees something wrong, please let me know. The inhabitants will be neocaridina, snails, otocinclus and celestial pearl danio. This is the first time I'm attempting something so ambitious, it's going to take a lot of time and effort. I know there are plenty more knowledgeable people here than I, and I definitely value any cautions, recommendations and feedback.

Wow! So much going on in this build. Lots of details seen and not seen.
Looking forward to the HMF; have only heard of this described in a local fish club forum and saw it this past weekend at a workshop at said local fish club meeting. Thumbs up on the mesh in front of the mat (never thought of that). When you do remove it, it may be a challenge to keep the residents out of the filter zone (Shoo! Shoo! says the shrimp wrangler).
The soil separator sounds like it should work, though I've not done this myself.
Good luck with this build post questions and concerns as they arise.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Stand frame is done! Paneling and retention trim is later this week. Muahahahahaha! Should be hearing from Swiss Tropicals tomorrow about the filter. Yep. That's a 40b, hard to tell its that big from this pic.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1447217217.962286.jpg
    ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1447217217.962286.jpg
    176.1 KB · Views: 103
Now that you mention it, it looks like a 10g (the tall baseboard doesn't help). Is the stand about 34-36" tall? Hope the filter is in.

The tank isn't staying on there until I'm done mucking about with the substrate. I'll lay in the rock, some ground cover plants, get it on the completed stand, then fill it and start the cycle. The moss on a stick, etc. can go in later. There is no way I'd be able to do anything much in it without a ladder. I'm only 5'1, the stand goes up to my hip. I need to get it cycled ASAP so I can relax with this desk 5g. For some reason, I really thought this 40b would be further along than it is. Lesson in patience, as I refuse to lose anyone moving them over.

Looking at sheets of steel mesh at the moment, for retention and keeping the substrate from collapsing into the filter area in the eventuality the filter needs removed. How fine is too fine? I'm looking at options anywhere from 4 to 400 (the latter obviously overkill). Not sure how fine I can go before it interferes with the foam filter.

Now that you mention it, it looks like a 10g (the tall baseboard doesn't help). Is the stand about 34-36" tall? Hope the filter is in.

Oh, the stand is 36". I want to be able to see the tank and it's currently in the dining room.

Looking at sheets of steel mesh at the moment, for retention and keeping the substrate from collapsing into the filter area in the eventuality the filter needs removed. How fine is too fine? I'm looking at options anywhere from 4 to 400 (the latter obviously overkill). Not sure how fine I can go before it interferes with the foam filter.

Here is a pic of Stainless Steel 304 Mesh #4 .047Wire Cloth Screen 12"x12":
h3haQhe.png
Penny for scale.
This mesh size should not restrict flow and this holds its shape quite well. Seller (via eBay) says that they can do custom cuts.
As for the area of the screen that is at substrate level, I would apply a finer mesh screen or even filter floss over the aforementioned mesh to prevent the substrate from getting into the mat foam area.

As for the area of the screen that is at substrate level, I would apply a finer mesh screen or even filter floss over the aforementioned mesh to prevent the substrate from getting into the mat foam area.

Quilt batting! You're brilliant! Ugh now I'm all duuhhh. Once I have the foam dimensions from Swiss Tropicals, I'll be able to order the screen with confidence. I love it! Thank you, Fresh!

Back
Top Bottom