3 Gallon - Betta and ADF.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks.
I will: )
Would shrimp pellets and algae wafers be okay for the snail and shrimp?
How much should I feed daily?
Really sorry about the ridiculous amount of stupid questions, but I'm a complete newbie with shrimp snails and live plants,so it is appreciated greatly!

It is all good! That's why the forum is here.

Both foods should be fine. Feed sparingly... I feed my shrimp only about 3-4 times a week. They will eat algae and what not as well, especially if there isn't prepared food present... don't over feed. They are tiny little guys and don't need much to thrive.

probably less than that. 3 pellets (depending on the size) or an algae wafer every other day. Just pay attention to how they eat. Increase if they seem to be attacking the food and disposing of it within a few hours. If it stays in the tank for several days without being touched, it can really affect your water parameters, especially in such a small tank. Small amounts are key.

Good job I asked or they would end up being severely overfed! LOL.

Thanks, I'll keep you posted, but it won't be straight away. In a few weeks, maybe next Month.
Dan: )

Can't believe I didn't ask before!
Will the baby shrimp get sucked into my filter? Its a Hagen Elite Stingray 10, internal: )

I think you will be alright. I run extremely powerful (for the size tank) canister filters on my shrimp tanks, and never have shrimp get caught on the outflow tubes.

I got a 9W fluorescent light. Its made by arcadia. Would it be okay? I know its not ideal, but their so expensive and I couldnt convince mum to get me the 11W for an extra £10.
2W won't make much of a difference will it?

What kid of bulb is it? If it is one of the curly q screw in florescent bulbs, I think it will be a little low. If it is a flat cylindrical tube type florescent bulb with the pins instead of a screw in base, it might do ok.

Do you think there would be any kind of solitary fish I could have, just for activity?
Maybe a betta when its densely planted?
Any other suggestions?

I think a betta might eat your shrimp... 3 gal seems a little small to me for almost all fish. Someone else might have some additional opinions on it...

Finally made a start on the tank! (GCSE's and revision started to take over!)

I have bought the black gravel and added a medium-sized 'fake coral' rock which takes over the right hand side nicely, while the left side is occupied by a fake plastic plant, a small shell and a small rock. I am really happy with the look of the tank. It looks great with the black gravel with the lamp on! The gravel is quite fine and very smooth; i luurrrvves it;)

This time next week i will hopefully have a tank with some java moss on the rock and maybe some java fern replacing the ugly fake plant; which y the way i hate now i have seen how beautiful live plants are;D

I will try and get some pictures up but no promises!

Dan:D

oh my god,this is so embarrassing... how do i put photos on here?
they're not very good at all and there's only two but they're better than nothing i s'pose..

oh my god,this is so embarrassing... how do i put photos on here?
they're not very good at all and there's only two but they're better than nothing i s'pose..

Click go advanced and then click on the little paper clip.

IMO 5 gals is the min. tank size for a betta. I had my first one in a 2.5 at first and felt sorry for the little guy and moved him to a 5...he's much happier now. Now I wouldn't keep any kind of fish in a tank that small..there just isn't enough swimming room. I have 3 male bettas and haven't been able to keep shrimp alive with them, even in larger tanks :(

How do I plant Java Fern?
Do I bury the roots in the gravel or tie to a rock?
If I tie it to a rock, how big should it be?

Thanks, Dan:D

I have my first problem:/
I went to the pet shop fr the plants but they only had a "mix and match" and couldn't tell me what type they were. I bought three, and now they're in the tank. they're still in their little pots they came in and I don't know what to do with them!
I will try and get pctures for some I.d but it could be a while.

Thanks, dan. :)

Back
Top Bottom