3 week old tank & Ammonia Issues

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dan06

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi everybody, as you can see my name is Dan

Anyways, I have a 3 week old 29 gallon tank with the Whisper 30 Filtration system. Water temp is 79 degrees and PH is 7.0. Nitrite and Nitrates are all 0. Ammonia is 0.

Upon initial setup, I gave the water 48 hours before adding fish. I used a chloramine remover. I added 2 Bala Sharks and I forget the name of the other fish, but they were about a Half Dollar size and they were translucent. My local shop told me all 4 fish were very hardy and would most likely survive the initial cycle.

About a week into having my fish, the original bio bag became caked in dust (I had a rather huge dust issue initially, but that is all settled now).
I checked the Ammonia/ph/nitrites/nitrates daily and everything read 0. Being new to this, I took out the bio bag and washed it with spring water. I put it back into the filter and a whitish powder was emitted into the tank and clouded the water just a very small amount. The same night the bio bag was clogging again (with nothing I could actually see) and making a ton of noise as the water dripped back through the wonder tube. The current at the top of the water never seemed to slow down. The local shop told me it would be okay to add 2 new fish, I picked these yellow Gourami (I think that's what they are..)

I made the huge mistake of changing the bio bag for a new one. This solved all the dripping and noise issues.

About 8 days in (the very next day after changing the bio bag), the ammonia jumped to 1.0ppm. Being new to aquariums, I only got one opinion from the local shop and promptly added 3 teaspoons full of ammolock. The fish were showing small signs of distress. The translucent fish would swim to the top and take a couple gulps every 20-30 mins. The fish became very lazy, just kind of floating around. The shop advised me to NOT do a water change & to just keep treating the water with ammo-lock. This seemed to work, but the water became cloudier & at night time the fish showed signs of distress still. The ammonia would fluctuate between .50 & 1.5 or so. I promptly purchased an Ammonia 'filter' to replace the black sponge filter.

Finally I decided it was time for a water change, I did a 25% water change and the water was nearly clear and the ammonia dropped to .25, the lowest it had been since detected. For a couple days it kept fluctuating back to 1.0ppm and I kept doing 25% water changes. The fish showed minor stress only at night. The fish had become active again! All the while this ammonia problem was occuring, the fish were fed once or twice a week.

48 hours ago, I woke up in the morning and the tank had gotten much cloudier & the Ammonia had spiked to 4.0ppm. The fish were showing signs of distress. I went back to the local shop and they gave me a bottle of 'Cycle'. They told me to take 2 capfulls and pour it into the Whisper 30, infront of the bio bag. They said this would create the bacteria that will break down the ammonia into Nitrites and told me once I detected nitrites to start doing 50% water changes until everything read 0 again and my bio-bag will have been completely cycled and these issues should be gone.

I added the 2 capfulls and the water proceeded to become extremely cloudy. 12 hours later the water was so cloudy I could not see in the tank and one Bala shark has died, both translucent fish died and now my Gourami & 1 Bala Shark are all very aggressive and territorial.

I've done a 50% water change this morning and the water was still very cloudy, but not a pure white mess like it was. I've done another 25% water change about 3 hours later and the water is still cloudy, the ammonia is still reading at 4.0ppm and like I said, all the fish are aggressive and territorial.

I know this post is long, so I will make a sort of cliff notes for it.

Initial startup, water was treated for chloramine, PH was 7.0 and water had 48 hours before adding fish.

Added 2 Bala Sharks & 2 translucent fish, ammonia/nitrite/nitrates all read zero. PH of 7.0

Bio bag became clogged, cleaned with spring water.

Local shop said it was okay to add 2 more fish. Added Gourami, ammonia/nitrite/nitrates all read zero, PH 7.0

That night bio-bag clogged again and I replaced with a new bio-bag.

Next morning Ammonia spiked, treated with ammo-lock, 2 weeks later here I am with higher ammonia after ammo-lock treatments, water changes and 'cycle' being added and after adding cycle the ammonia spiked to 4.0ppm and killed 3 fish.

What should I do?

you never let the tank cycle and this is what I think your problem is. look into the stickies for information about cycles. you cant touch anything of the filter or do vacuums I believe becuase your alter the binificial bacteria and thus starting the new cycle over again. most of what your saying is normal for a tank that is being cycled, again by doing everything you did I think you just made the tank go thru another cycle, the cycle I think tanks anywhere from 3 to 8 weeks. which the ammonia will peak, then the nitrites and then the nitrates once gone thru that its ready for fish. you should put some type of fish to create the cycle during the cycle period.

Welcome to AA, we can help. First do water changes every dayto 2 days of probably 50%. Don't waste time and money using cycle, it doesn't help cycle your tank. Since you have fish keep montoring your ammonia and nitrIte. Keep doing water changes as necessary to keep the ammonia under 1ppm. Do not add any more fish, the lfs's like to give advice but they don't always know what they are talking about. Do not bother using the ammo lock, it can give false readings and you will be unable to determine what your actual ammonia is at. At all costs even if it means more than one water change is a day, keep the ammonia down for the fish, do not gravel vac, that is not necessary yet, just change the water and add declorinator every time. The other products do not help your cycle and simply affect your readings. Please keep us posted on how you are making out.

Your tank wasn't cycled when you added your fish so it is going through the cycling process (which is characterized by a period of high ammonia levels which diminish in time and followed by a period of high nitrite levels which when they diminish usually indicate the completion of the cycle. This process can take up to six week (but can be accelarated if the tank is seeded with a beneficial bacteria source).

The 48hrs period between setting up the tank and adding the fish, in my opinion, doesn't really do anything.

Until the beneficial bacteria in the tank gets established (which will take weeks), you'll probably have to conduct water changes to keep the ammonia and subsequent nitrite levels down (25%+ daily or every other day)

Eventually bacteria will do this job for you with the end result being nitrate). This may prelong the cycle a bit (as does the ammonia removing filter, in my opinion).

I've never used Ammo-lock so I can't comment on whether that was sound advice you were given.

I'd recommend keeping the bio-bag in place, even if it clogs because that's where a great portion of the bacteria you need will colonize (although every surface area in your tank will eventually house beneficial bacteria). Don't add any more fish until the cycling is completed.

I had an ammonia problem too and I tried Ammo-lock also. It doesn't help with cycling. I would say do some water changes and get it out of there if you added a lot. Then all you can do is run the filter, don't change your filters and let the cycling do its job. The ammonia will just go away.

Swish your dirty filters in your dirty water you take out and put them back in your filter every time you do a water change. You will need the bacteria that builds up in them. If you have two filters in your tank, don't change them both at once if they get old.

Thanks everybody.

I quit using the ammo-lock. I've now done two 50% water changes since posting. I am using a stress coat and chloramine treatment only now. I have an ammonia filter pad behind my bio-bag for treatment of the ammonia.

I have now dropped the ammonia from 4ppm to roughly 1.5ppm.

I will do another 50% change before midnight tonight and I will keep you updated on the progress.

I sincerely appreciate all of your help and suggestions!

Hi guys, I did one last 60% change and now the ammonia is down to 0ppm, so is the nitrites and nitrates (never spiked actually)

So now it looks like I am ready to start the cycling process again. The water has been 0ppm ammonia for roughly 24 hours again and I had fed my 3 remaining fish, hopefully I can get the cycle started again and these guys make it.

Dan,

You might be a bit confused on the nitrogen cycle. Your cycle never "stopped" during this bad time, its just that more waste (ammonia) was being produced than the bacteria could consume.

Your goal now is to monitor your ammonia and nitrIte levels and never let them get above 1.0ppm (I would recommend 0.5ppm). As soon as they get close to this level do a PWC with dechlorinated water, and make sure the water is the SAME TEMPERATURE as your tank water. You can do this by feel (quickly move your hand back and forth from the tank to your bucket and keep changing the bucket water's temp till they feel the same), or easier and more accurate by using a thermometer.

Remember, ANY detectable level of ammonia or nitrIte is more than the current bacteria in the tank can handle. You will never harm the fish by doing too many PWC's, and when you do do PWC's (if the level gets really high again), try to take out as much water at one time (no more than 80%) without stressing the fish (unplug the filter, unplug the heater), as its 1. quicker, 2. reduces the toxins faster, 3. less stressful to the fish, 4. less chance for you to remove beneficial bacteria that are floating in the water.

Goodluck.

justin

Back
Top Bottom