30g cold water tank.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zaqyshadows

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 30g cold water tank I'm doing Black moors White clouds and some Hillstreams. I have been cycling with one Black moor for about a month. My ph comes out of the tap at 7.2 Well even a day after I get about 7.6. My nitrates stay at zero and my amonia stays at .5 and gets maybe 1.0 right before weekly wc. Im not sure how this is. I recently put Some river rock vinegar tested and hot water treated. But this problem occurred before the rocks so I doubt that's it. I have a Aquaclear 110 and a fluval 2 plus filtering the tank. Im over filtering and just one fish. So what is causing the Ph spike so suddenly and why cant I get my ammonia down. I added startup bacteria maybe 2-3 weeks ago. I have bio balls mixed in with the media. It should be colonizing by now. And I don't over feed the fish. I'm just at a loss here.

Maybe you should skip a weekly water change, let the bacteria build up? Use prime throughout the process if you're worried about the ammonia levels.

I went ahead and got another black moor goldfish. 2 in the tank is max but they are small right now. Maybe it will help some. I will get some prime as soon as I can and see if the LFS guy will give me some media from one of his Goldfish tanks.

What about a cheap plant to help with the cycle? Goldies do eat plants so something floating would be good. Dwarf water lettuce or some kind of stem plant.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom