37 gal stock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

machotaco

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm planning to buy a 37 gal tank and I want to put in it

5 false juhli cats

8 celestial pearl danios

3 Otos (or one bushy nose pleco, need help deciding)

3 pearl gourami's

4 dwarf gourami's
Or
4 sparkaling gourami's
(Or 3 of each?)

Yer all seems good. You could probably have a couple more fish in there as well.

Looks pretty good, I would get a trio of Otos, because bushy nose plecos have a huge bio load compared to the otos

Update, so it's now going to be

5 false Cory's
3 Otos
3 pearls
8 celestial pearl danios
6 black phantom Tetras

Is that over stocked if I use a ac 50? Thanks

Don't do multiple Gouramis. They tend to fight. They usually prefer their own territory. If it's a big tank with lots of sight breaks, they might not kill each other. Pearls are my favorites and are the most peaceful to other species of the large Gouramis usually.

And on a super geeky note...I hate calling them "false" julii. They are Corydoras trilineatus usually.
"False julii" covers about 10 species. Many are sold as C. julii that are not julii. Call them 3 Lined or just C. trilineatus.
(try-lin-ē-ah-tus)

Ok Latin lesson over ;)

Even if they are 3 females?

Yep. They aren't a schooling species. They are cousins to Bettas. Betta females sometimes get along, most times kill each other off, unless they've been raised together as a true Sorority.

It's hard to get true female Gouramis. Younger ones don't always show adult finnage and characteristics.

JMHO

Tina ( still not a dude)
Coursair Whippets

Oh do you have a recommended fish to take their place? Preferably something that is a schooling peaceful fish

So I'm thinking now

5 Corydoras trilineatus ;)

1 pearl gourami

8 neon tetras

8 celestial pearl danios

3 Otos

And 6 black phantom tetras

So I'm thinking now

1 pearl gourami

8 neon tetras

8 celestial pearl danios

3 Otos

Are you going to have live plants ?

CPDs are the smallest fish you have listed and can be quite shy. The more hiding places you offer them, the more they may come out.

If you do a sand substrate your Cories will be in heaven ;)

So I'm thinking now

1 pearl gourami

8 neon tetras

8 celestial pearl danios

3 Otos

This is a great stock list. You should up your otos to atleast 6. They look/do great in large groups. :)

Thanks guys, I'm gonna plant a lot of plants in the tank, but using a plant growth substrate.

Skip the CPDs. They don't tend to do well in community tanks with larger fish. They are very shy fish and easily outcompeted for food in a community setting. You'll hardly see them, and your group will slowly get smaller and smaller.

I've kept them several times, and they always do best for me in small species tanks, or tanks with other nano fish.

Do you recommend any other small fish that will get along well in my tank?

Pseudomugil gertrudae is a nice looking little fish, and a lot more active and outgoing than CPDs. Trying to think of stuff that you haven't heard yet... maybe Iriatherina werneri (threadfin rainbow)?

I will say, though, that your groups of tetras will be more interesting to observe in larger groups. Maybe go 12 and 12 on your tetras?

Wow the Pseudomugil gertrudae is beautiful, sadly my LFS doesn't have any.

Back
Top Bottom