4 week old 10 gallon tank...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Geomd1

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi all, I bought a 10 freshwater tank starter kit about 4 weeks ago for my daughter's b-day. It is stocked with 2 platy's, 7 glo-light tetras, 5 neons and a small spotted Cory. Can I add ghost shrimp and will they help or only over populated the tank? If ok to add, then how many? Would they need any special food or would leftover flake food be enough for them? One more question, what is the optimum water temperature for my tank? I know, I know, so many questions! Advice is much appreciated

Do you know about the nitrogen cycle? Shrimp have hardly any effect on a tanks bioload. But I'd get those and a few more cories, since they shoal. I think your ok in terms of bioload now, but you should still add the cories. And as for the amount of shrimp, as many as you'd like, since they don't do much in terms of bioload. Any temp. Around 75-78 should be fine, but most fish can adjust to a wide rang of temps, just don't do anything crazy.

Thanks. What about food, will shrimp and cory's be ok with flake food or will they need something more? I'm testing water today and will post results here later.

Cool. Cories and shrimp feed off of leftover food, but I'd buy some sinking pellets for the cories.

No. You're overstocked as it is now. Do not add any more fish. If you can, get rid of that single cory(which will be unhappy, but it may be fine in the long run) and those platies or reduce the fish in some other way. It's not a water volume issue it's a space issue, which you are sorely lacking. Glofish are just GM zebra danios and are active fish, they need a bit more (20 gallon min.) than a 10.

I don't have glow fish...they are glo-light tetras, very similar to neons but different in color.

Was also told that the little tetras don't add much to the bio load either. Is that correct?

Oops. Glanced over that on accident. Funny because I have 10 glowlights myself lol.

But anyways, you're still over stocked in my opinion. Space is an issue in any tank. I know it's really neat to see a nice dense mass of colorful tetras but it's just not feasible in a tank smaller than 30 gallons. And also neons get to two inches when housed in a proper tank. Mine are about that length and 1/4-3/8 an inch tall

Thanks Crepe. Now another question: have a topfin 10 filter that came with the kit. Is that sufficient to filter the 10 gallon tank or should I upgrade to a more powerful filter? Keep on mind that I have small tetras and two platy's. Thanks!

I'm thinking you'll be fine with that filter. I might upgrade to an AC20 or something but that's probably not necessary. Why fix what's not broke? Just do water changes(30-50%) every week or every other week and you'll be fine. I do anywhere from 60-80% weekly(To prevent algae in my planted tank) . I would advise against adding more fish.

Just saying, but if you did upgrade to the bigger filter, your tank could probably handle a few more fish. But I agree, that Cory isn't gonna be happy by himself.

Just saying, but if you did upgrade to the bigger filter, your tank could probably handle a few more fish. But I agree, that Cory isn't gonna be happy by himself.

I have to disagree. It's not just water quality it's space. My 20 gallon has a filter intended for a 75 gallon tank on it. That doesn't mean I can keep 40 neon tetras. It just means I don't have to worry as much about fluctuating water quality. Space is a bigger issue than filtration in this case.

Wouldn't the force of the water flow from the more powerful filter be stressful for the fish or does that not have too much affect on them?

Wouldn't the force of the water flow from the more powerful filter be stressful for the fish or does that not have too much affect on them?

Most filters have ball valves that control flow. I keep the flow on about half. Water movement doesn't mean better filtration in a filter. It just has to be enough to move water around the media within the filter. I felt that all the smaller models of filter didn't supply the amount of volume for bio media I was looking for.

Fluval. I've also heard good things about eheim and sun sun (if you're on a budget). It's the fluval 305.

Back
Top Bottom