4th Day Fishless cycle -Ammonia 8.0+

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Painterroy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I started the fishless cycle 4 days ago in a 5 gallon tank with plants. I didn't have my test kit till today. I was putting in only maybe a small capful of ammonia everyday. I got my test kit today (API) and the ammonia reading was 8.0 or abouve (it was at the top green on the chart). I did a 50% water change and it still came up 8.0. Should I try to wait it out or do a complete do over with new water?

Firstly well done for giving a fishless cycle a try.

I would keep doing PWC's until ammonia is less than 4ppm.

You don't have to add ammonia every day. You only add it when your initial 4ppm you put in on day 1 has fallen to 1ppm or less. This can take anything up to 2weeks to happen.

You have seriously overloaded your tank with ammonia my friend and now you need to reduce it as it can hinder the beneficial bacteria you are trying to colonise.

PWC like your life depended upon it.

It may take quite a few 100% PWC back to back to back to back. To lower it enough.

Jon

Yeah, Jon nailed it. Too much ammonia can stall a cycle. You want to aim for 4 ppm ammonia. If you get closer to 5 ppm than 4, that's fine. But no more than 5.

Thanks

Thanks. I wound up doing almost all water change (I left the gravel & whatever water any in the gravel. I refilled & used Aquasafe and without adding ammonia, I got a reading of 2.0 so I added a about 10 drops of ammonia and it brought the level to 4.0. Thanks for the advice.

Back
Top Bottom