5 Gallon Setup?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishlover11

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Here is a list of things I will be getting for my freshwater 5 gallon setup and I just wanted you thoughts/opinions/suggestions. If I need to take out something or add something just let me know. Thank you

List: Tetra Whisper Internal Power Filter 90 GPH, Tetra Whisper Bio-Bag Disposable Filter Cartridges, Wardley Premium Betta Food, Omega One Freeze Dried Blood Worms, Petco Aztec Bronze Aquarium Gravel 5 lbs, Tetra Submersible Aquarium Heater 50 Watts, Sentry Mardel Water Quality Check Freshwater Aquarium Ammonia Test Kit, Sentry Mardel 5 in 1 Test Strips for Saltwater & Freshwater, ATI Aquarium Thermometer, NutraFin Betta Plus Water Conditioner, Petco Small Greek 3 Column Aquarium Ornaments Collection, 2 Petco Anubias Betta Aquarium Plants (fake), 2 Petco Ammania Betta Aquarium Plants (fake), Petco Forgotten Ruins Aquarium Ornament, Wardley Shrimp Pellets Sinking Tropical Food 1.625

Do you want swimmers (fish) or inverts (shrimp)

You could do
1 Male Betta

or

5 Galaxy Rasboras or Pygmy Spotted Rasboras

or

10 Cherry Shrimp

or

Sparkling Gourami

lots of thing you can do with a 5 gal if you do it right! You could even do a Dwarf Puffer, but those are not for begginers, even though they are truly freshwater.

I donno. Sounds like a betta paradise to me. The only thing I would change are the test strips. It's far better to get the API freshwater master test kit. It's usually 20 bucks and far more accurate than the strips. You could also have a tiger nerite snail or two.

I'm a live plant guy but this is a great list for a cool betta tank. Please post some pictures when you set it up. I have a 5 gallon betta tank myself. :) I'll try to post you a picture even though it looks rough at the moment.

I donno. Sounds like a betta paradise to me. The only thing I would change are the test strips. It's far better to get the API freshwater master test kit. It's usually 20 bucks and far more accurate than the strips. You could also have a tiger nerite snail or two.

I'm a live plant guy but this is a great list for a cool betta tank. Please post some pictures when you set it up. I have a 5 gallon betta tank myself. :) I'll try to post you a picture even though it looks rough at the moment.

I have a 5.5g myself with a betta and several baby snails.

I agree, the API master test kit is way better than the strips.

My replies below in blue....

Here is a list of things I will be getting for my freshwater 5 gallon setup and I just wanted you thoughts/opinions/suggestions. If I need to take out something or add something just let me know. Thank you

List: Tetra Whisper Internal Power Filter 90 GPH,
Tetra Whisper Bio-Bag Disposable Filter Cartridges, -- the filter is likely fine; it'll take up some room inside the tank though and the bettas fins might get sucked to the filter. I use a Marina Slim S10 for my betta tank and it works well. It comes with a sponge that goes over the intake tube too so the bettas fins don't get stuck to it.
Wardley Premium Betta Food,
Omega One Freeze Dried Blood Worms, -- ok as an occasional treat. Be careful with freeze-dried foods as they can cause digestion issues. Frozen food might be a better option. Otherwise soak the freeze-dried food in some tank water before giving it to the fish.
Petco Aztec Bronze Aquarium Gravel 5 lbs,
Tetra Submersible Aquarium Heater 50 Watts,
Sentry Mardel Water Quality Check Freshwater Aquarium Ammonia Test Kit, Sentry Mardel 5 in 1 Test Strips for Saltwater & Freshwater, -- I'd forego these and get the API Liquid freshwater kit instead.
ATI Aquarium Thermometer, -- the stick-on thermometers are hard to read and may not be accurate. I'd get an in-tank mercury one instead.
NutraFin Betta Plus Water Conditioner, -- Would work. You could get some Seachem Prime instead; it's more concentrated so it'll last longer.
Petco Small Greek 3 Column Aquarium Ornaments Collection,
2 Petco Anubias Betta Aquarium Plants (fake),
2 Petco Ammania Betta Aquarium Plants (fake),
Petco Forgotten Ruins Aquarium Ornament, -- sounds good. Just be sure the ornaments don't have sharp edges on which the fins can get injured.
Wardley Shrimp Pellets Sinking Tropical Food 1.625 -- I doubt the betta would go for these as they tend to feed from the top.

The best betta food I know of is either Hikari micro pellets or Hikari betta bio gold. Both are excellent foods for these guys and I've used both for over a decade.

Back
Top Bottom