55 Gal Shopping List

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PK Tester

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hello all...Evnetually (soon I hope), I plan to get a 55 Gal Tank. Now heres my plans

No real plants, all fake. (off of Ebay in big lots! :) )

An unGodly amount of gravel :p

Just some standard Perfecto aquarium hoods...or possibly somthing with a little wider opening...

Now filter wise...I have NO IDEA I need some reomendations!

Heater wise...it looks like it might be two heaters? I prefer Marineland submersible heaters not sure if I can find one for a 55 gal though.

Python Mantience system.

A nice stand (uh-oh expensive...hopefully I'll be able to find a steel stand)

Now...I PLAN to have a filter with a bio-wheel...and also a sponge filter ran by an air pump or a power head...I know nothing about power heads are they difficult to work with?

Now...The hard part...What should I stock a 55gal with? (Remember no live plants)

My reasoning for no live plants is...I can't afford the lighting system required ( I don't think haha)

Nor can I afford the CO2 system.

Any information will be appreciated!

-T.J.

I will chime in on the heater part. It is better to run two heaters, that way if one malfunctions, you arent lost. The other heater will keep things until you can replace the other one. I would go with two that are rated close to or a little less than what you require.

If it were me, I'd run dual 200watt heaters.

My prefered brand is Hagens Thermal Preset, however others perfer marinelands Visi-therm or Ebo Jaguars

Sounds like you're budgeting this out (wise). Your filter plans are sound. A penguin 330 bio wheel and a sponge filter run by an airater are fine. You can get them all at bigals or Drs Foster and Smith for under $40. Add the powerhead later if you like :D

I run an Emperor400 on my 55g and I love it! Dual Bio-wheels; I can change filter media at whim and never see a nitrogenous waste spike. But if you are budgeting, Brian's suggesting makes more sense and is just a good :)

As for stocking it...oi! There are SO many options for a tank that size? What is the tap water like? Ph? Hardness? That will help determine which fish would be better in the tank. And what sort of fish do you like? Schooling fish? Big fish? Aggressive fish? Unusual ones? Colorful? Personality? Decisions decisions!

hehe Alli I'd prefer somthing colorful or interactive...if you know what I mean! as for the PH of my water...it runs about 8ish out of the tap...generally I add some salt and get it down to about 7.2 - 7.4 . The water is pretty soft I belive. I haven't paid attention my last water changes ( I beleive ot to be in the 150 - 250 range). I am going to try to budget this :/ ...Even though an Emperor 400 would make me extremely happy but I think sponge filters are cool haha. They are somewhat unsightly though. I might just go with the Emperor400...how hard is it to get filter replacement packages for that? Are they expensive?

Thanks so much everyone.

Sorry to reply so fast...but does anyone know if ALL-Glass 55Gal aquariums have a center brace? Anyone know of the price on one of these also? I'm trying to figuire a complete price list...I'm trying to figuire the hood or hoods right now and if theres a center brace...I'll need two hoods :/

They aren't cheap. That being said, I use a standard marineland filter thingie in one side, and a sponge in the other. I replace the marineland one every few months (otherwise i just rinse it out).

Of course, you know I'm going to suggest angelfish *grin* colorful, personable and should do fine in your water parameters LOL but I suggest doing some snooping around to see what kinda fish trip your trigger; start off by checking our profiles forum :)

Alli have you ever attempted tog row live plants in your 55gal...also what type of hood do you have? Thanks!!

Yep. I have hygro, java fern and some amazon swords. All of em get tore apart by my fish on a regular basis LOL

I have the hood that came with the tank; it has a clear plastic area where the lights go, but the lights are removeable. I took off the light on one side, and added a split 65 watts coralife light (they only come with 17 watts bulbs..no where near enough for plants). The plants in my 2 official planted tanks do MUCH better, but theres a lot more light, sand substrate with laterite and CO2 in one of em.

If you want colorful, interactive fish for a 55 gal with water pH 8-ish out of the tap, you may want to consider African cichlids.

As for filtration, I love the cannisters - especially the Eheim ProII series. They are way more expensive than the HOB types, but they are more efficient and require less maintenance. There are definite pros and cons for both types of filter.
The Eheim 2026* on my 58 gal generates strone surface agitation and current, so I don't need airstones or powerheads.

The stand often costs as much as the tank. Are you good with powertools? If you are mechanically challenged, check out the classified ads for used tank stand bargains.

* edited typo in model #

PP AQUARIUM METAL TUBE STAND - 55 GALLON

KNOCK DOWN DESIGN FOR EASY SHIPPING. EXTREMELY STURDY AND DURABLE. DESIGNED TO HOLD 2 AQUARIUMS. SIZE :12" DEEP X 48" WIDE X 29" HIGH

Would that fit an all-glass 55 gal aquarium...with deminsoins...48x13x20

Seems a little iffy...Big Al's dimensions always seem messed up...

Wish you lived closer to South Carolina.
I have a metal 55gal tank stand in my garage I would love to get rid of cheap.
:fadein:

Well guys heres what I came up with...somewhat depressing...That kit at walmart is only $170! Wow! I make it expensive haha:

55 Gallon Shopping List

MarinelandEmperor Bio-Wheel 400 Power Filter – $39.99 (Big Al’s)

VISI-THERM 200 WATT HEATER- (2) $34

55 Gal, All Glass- Aquarium - $85

PP AQUARIUM METAL TUBE STAND - 55 GALLON - $60

Aquarium Hood – ?? Seems as if the all-glass 55 gallons DO NOT have a center frame. I’d like something that would be easy to access/open and easy cleanable…Anyone have any ideas on a hood? I’m estimating a cost of - $45

Gravel ( I plan on having black gravel…say something if you do not think it will look nice with fake plants :p ) – Cost - $40 (Can anyone tell me exactly how much gravel to use for a 55gal? That’s about a pound a gal at $40.

Plants – Lot of 45 sells for about $37 on Ebay with Shipping. - $37

TOTAL- $340.99 …Wow…Pretty expensive! Seems like I might be waiting until I get a job! Yes I understand this is without the fish LOL.

8O 8O 8O 8O 8O

A more cost effective method...buy the kit from walmart ($170)...which has a good hood and aquarium ( not sure about heater). Sell the heater and filter on ebay! Make $20 - 30. Buy stand, heater ( Dual- Temp 300 Watt) and penguin 330 filter off BigAl's...(46.43 with shipping). Bringing the total cost to $196.43...GOOD DEAL...not sure if theres gravel or not...or if I'd even have to replace the heater...Still much cheaper than ANYTHING I could put together.

This makes me happier.

Its that time again! Ferret post!

I have never seen a 55 gallon, especially not All-glass, without a center brace. I don't own one, so can't say for sure, but I'm almost 100% certain that if it doesn't have a brace, then its not really All-glass, even if they let Walmart put their name on it. Its some cheap knock-off that they have a deal with Walmart with to sell mass quantities of. I also suggest glass tops/hatches with a 48" light strip. That SHOULD be the standard on an All-glass tank.. Another thing to watch out for in buying from Walmart. All-glass usually has very nice light strips included with their tanks, only 32 watts but with a good reflector in the hood. Walmart will probably have replaced this with a cheaper version.

My next suggestion: Axe the metal stand. Find a nice oak or pine stand, or build your own. The cost may be more for prehab (And possibly less if you do it yourself), but the results are a lot nicer. They look better, more like a nice bit of furniture that helps tie the tank to the room. Its also better for your floor. Those metal stands concentrate all of the pressure from the weight of the tank on four spots, where the feet are. Most wooden stands have a flat board on the bottom, and distribute the weight equally across a wide area. Metal stands also just plain make me nervous. I know they're strong, but they still look so flimsy.

AND NOW!!! ... It should come as no surprise what my fish suggestion is today, if any have been keeping up with my tanks :p

Green tiger barbs! You will love and adore these colorful active little guys! A school of 6 or 8 would do great as a main center piece of your tank! You could then consider a blue paradise gourami and a gold/opaline/blue gourami for another shade of color (Paradises will leave the blue morphs alone, to my knowledge and experience) and then you could get some otos for algae, and a school of cories. I'd shy away from clown loaches, while possible I don't think a 55 is really suitable for them. Go find you a dojo loach. They're very active and look sorta eel-ish, which is cool since they have none of the nasty 'eat fish and hide all day while making large bioload' issues of an eel. As a final bit, you could try throwing in a school of neons.

So let's recap :)

Insure you have a real All-glass 55 with center brace and original All-glass light strip. Get wooden stand. 8x green tiger barbs, 1 paradise gourami, 1 opaline/gold gourami, 4x otos (They do prefer some live plants, so give that another thought), 3-5x cories (There's a whole lot of this to pick from), and a dojo loach. Then possibly 8x neons :)

Regent is the walmart brand of filter that goes in their tanks I believe.

If I recal Correctly..

These are made by marine land, and if you run without the filter cover on you will be able to go buy a biowheel assembly and stick it right in. the top one fit the filter anymore, but who needs it relaly?

Green tiger barbs! You will love and adore these colorful active little guys! A school of 6 or 8 would do great as a main center piece of your tank! You could then consider a blue paradise gourami and a gold/opaline/blue gourami for another shade of color (Paradises will leave the blue morphs alone, to my knowledge and experience) and then you could get some otos for algae, and a school of cories. I'd shy away from clown loaches, while possible I don't think a 55 is really suitable for them. Go find you a dojo loach. They're very active and look sorta eel-ish, which is cool since they have none of the nasty 'eat fish and hide all day while making large bioload' issues of an eel. As a final bit, you could try throwing in a school of neons.

What a cool list of fish..... Would a red tail shark fit in that list? Or is that just bad news...

I am getting close to my 55 gallon purchase.. (I know it seems like forever) I am on the painting stage of the room it is going in..

I haven't kept red-tail sharks. I'm unsure of their temperment. I can say that a rainbow shark would be just fine, and I consider them more visually appealing, as all their fins are red. They would fit in just fine with my above recommendation, including the neons. They mostly stick to themselves and feed off the bottom. I must stress no more than 1 though. They will fight amongst themselves for territory.

Back
Top Bottom