55g Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TankMan

Aquarium Advice Freak
I am purchasing a 55g in 3 weeks and I want to do my research before I purchase it. I am extremely familiar with cycling so that will not be a problem (Since I have filter media from other tanks).

I want to get knowledge from here, since this is IMO the best place... I would love help in the following areas.... THANK YOU!

P.S - there will be pictures for your troubles ;)

Lighting/Lighting Canopy (For plants) -
Filters-
Heaters-
Substrate-
Stocking-

As well as any other tips. Thanks again!

I'm only good with stocking lol. I would do :

2 german blue rams or pearl gourami
8-10 panda Cories
15 neon, cardinal or black neon tetra
20 red Cherry shrimp
What other fish do you like?

For lighting and substrate I highly suggest you check out the planted forum. There are some stickies at the top that will give you a lot of help. I'm currently reading up on live plants and it's a pretty big maze of info. lol.

Do you know what kind of filter your tank is going to come with? I'd suggest getting a second filter but size is really dependent on what you will have to start with.

Do you have any idea or preference for what you would like in the tank? You have a good amount of options for 55 gal. Did you want a community tank? Semi aggresive? peaceful? Do you like schoolers? Any fish that spike your interest as a starting point to stock?

I will be purchasing the tank and stand by themselves. So I'll be buying my own filters. And I love bottom feeders, shrimps, and I've always been scared of rams. They seem very sensitive.

I will be purchasing the tank and stand by themselves. So I'll be buying my own filters. And I love bottom feeders, shrimps, and I've always been scared of rams. They seem very sensitive.

yes, I've heard they are. I've been wanting to give them a try but they are a hassle to get in my area and I'm not sure if I want to take the gamble of perhaps loosing it.

Aquaclear filters are highly recommended on this site. They are more pricey, I think they have the Aquaclear 110 which would probably be more than enough for your tank. Though depending on the dimensions of your tank you may want to do 2 smaller ones one each end for better distribution.
brand aside The important thing is GPH, how many gallons your filter will do in an hour. For a HOB filter I believe it's something like 8-10x your volume.

You may also want to invest in 2 heaters and keep one on each end to help evenly heat the tank.

Back
Top Bottom