A Fresh start and new opportunities.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

snoopiie

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey whats up everyone I just upgraded my 45 gallonto a 100 gallon and I am trying to take it slow and steady, and try and get some recommendations on what kind of , filter systems and other things I can put into my tank..

I have
Largemouth Bass [1]
Blue Gill [2]
"Murray" 7 Inches
"Dottie" 2 1/2 Inches
Pleco [1]
Blue Lobster [1]

They have all lived in the 45 gallon, for about 9 months and they have have grown very big and its now time to move out of there apartment into there small luxury mansion..

I got all the fish no bigger than 2 inches and the bass has reached 7 inches and the blue gill is around the same if not bigger, the 2nd blue gill I caught yesterday to add to the addition he is doing very well.. he is about 2 1/2 inches and it seems like the 7 inch blue gill protects him from the bass.. The dark colored blue gill which I think is a male is very aggressive and keeps the bass in check and the blue gill has his own spot and wont allow anything to go into his cave.. Not even the blue Lobster..

So on that note im ready to get these guy's moved in, but I want some good help from some people that have had some good success in my department and I know about all the legal issues on the matter so please keep them to your self.

Also any other take mates I might be able to add? Let me know the best possible filter and additional items that might be good to use in this tank..

-Thanks

Get the tank cycled and the biggest filter system you can find. Then get into a good tank maintenance routine of water changes and debris removal.

I appreciate your advice, but I need more than that.. What I need to know on what are some good ways to cycle it..

I have filled the fish tank about 80 gallons, and I am gonna leave it to evaporate the toxins for 2 weeks, and then Im gonna fill half of the water I put inside of it with the 45 gallons in my other tank, you think that should be good because the water in my 45 g has already been established for 9 months..

Attachments

• DSCN0982.jpg
    DSCN0982.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 55
  • DSCN0985.jpg
    DSCN0985.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 60
  • DSCN0990.jpg
    DSCN0990.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 64
you need to change your water basically every day or get a super powerful oxygen pump. your fish will be very low on air. also test your water daily for nitrites. and if the plants i see in the picture are real, you need to cut back. plants take oxygen from fish at night and your fish are already maxed out.

fishfan, where are you getting your data from?

snoopiie: to help speed-cycle your tank, get the filter you'll be putting on it and start running it on your current tank. Run it for about two weeks to build beneficial bacteria, then transfer to the new tank (treat the water with dechlorinator, btw, don't just let it sit-- toxins don't evaporate, water does, leaving toxins behind) and supplement the new tank with ammonia (either by buying 100% ammonia or with fish food). Once the ammonia and nitrite levels regularly convert to nitrate within 24 hours or so, you should be good to start moving fish.

Only moving water will NOT move the beneficial bacteria, which is what you need to do.

If you are not going to be using the 45 gallon after the fish are moved (or will have time to re-cycle it), you can also move the filter media in to the new filter to help with establishing beneficial bacteria.

After fish are added water should be tested daily for ammonia and nitrite until both are at 0ppm and remain that way for several days and nitrate is established. Water changes should be performed frequently (weekly at least; anytime nitrate hits 40ppm definitely).

Read up on fishless cycling so you have an idea of what the nitrogen cycle is.

Okay so what is the exact levels of ammonia and nitrate i am looking for?
Should I be okay with one filter or should I use two?

The reason I have to wait to get a filter is because I have no money until the 13th.. I traded my 80 gig ipod for this tank and spent all my money fishing this weekend..

Anymore advice? After I get all the levels where they should be at is it okay to put all the fish in the tank? What kind of rocks do you guys suggest..?

I had black rocks but I don't like how the fish stay dark because of the rocks..

Ammonia-- 0ppm; nitrIte-- 0ppm; nitrate-- 10-40ppm. (40 is tops; many like to keep it around 20ppm.)

It depends on the power of your filter, however in a 100g tank you may need two hang-on back filters or perhaps 1 very powerful canister filter.

Rocks are rocks. Boil them well first then rinse in dechlorinated water before you put them into the tank.

Rocks are rocks. Boil them well first then rinse in dechlorinated water before you put them into the tank.

You cannot boil rocks, you have the chance they could explode on the heat and pressure..

whats the difference between nitrite and nitrate?

Interesting factoid (driftwood is regularly boiled, was not aware that rocks could explode). Soak them in a bleach solution then and rinse very well with dechlorinated water to get rid of any nasties, especially if they're porous.

Read up on fishless cycling-- really. Ammonia is fish waste; nitrite and nitrate are both 'byproducts' of the bacteria that 'eat' ammonia. Nitrite is very toxic, nitrate not as much. Plants also use nitrate as nutrients for growth.

I was thinking about using sand anything on that? I was thinking it might clog up my filtration but I may just use some tan rocks or something to make it look neat.. I was really thinking of live plants but man it seems like its alot of effort to keep up with live plants inside of a fish tank...

Sand is fine. Many people here use pool filter sand- cheap and works just fine.

You do have to worry about air pockets growing anaerobic bacteria though-- Malaysian Trumpet Snails help with that though as they burrow through the sand and keep it aerated.

All I know is im not gonna cycle my tank for 5 weeks.. I have had too many successful tanks to wait that long.. My fish are getting agitated with each other as it is.. and do I need a HEATER if my tank always stays at room temp... 69-75 through out the day..? and night.. winter-spring-summer-fall..

.. IT DID SAY FILTER.. IT WAS A TYPO WHILE THINKING FAST!

Reading posts thoroughly and correctly is a vastly useful exercise...

to help speed-cycle your tank, get the filter you'll be putting on it and start running it on your current tank. Run it for about two weeks to build beneficial bacteria, then transfer to the new tank (treat the water with dechlorinator, btw, don't just let it sit-- toxins don't evaporate, water does, leaving toxins behind) and supplement the new tank with ammonia (either by buying 100% ammonia or with fish food). Once the ammonia and nitrite levels regularly convert to nitrate within 24 hours or so, you should be good to start moving fish.

Only moving water will NOT move the beneficial bacteria, which is what you need to do.

If you are not going to be using the 45 gallon after the fish are moved (or will have time to re-cycle it), you can also move the filter media in to the new filter to help with establishing beneficial bacteria.

After fish are added water should be tested daily for ammonia and nitrite until both are at 0ppm and remain that way for several days and nitrate is established. Water changes should be performed frequently (weekly at least; anytime nitrate hits 40ppm definitely).

Yes, you need a filter. Temperature has nothing to do with filters (but with heaters, yes). Especially with the kind of bioload you are dealing with you are either looking at a filter or, likely, at large (50%+) water changes daily. Or killing your fish, your choice...

Aquariums are not for the pet owner who enjoys saying 'ooh, pretty fishy in a bowl, let's feed it once in a while and ignore it the rest of the time!'. In fact, I'll venture saying that had you done your research in the first place you would have not put that many fish in a 45gal or would have moved them much sooner.

You definitely need a filter and a heater. The heater is necessary not because you actually need to heat the tank, but you need to be able to keep the temperature stable.

I also enjoy reading the cookie cutter answers given newbies, since it is ultimately productive to keep repeating the fact, since they are here to learn, not to be criticized.

Time out - Time out!

Alright people, I am not a newbie in aquariums and I do not have a budget. When I do have my money it's not a couple of hundred.. I am not a dumb *** and I KNOW I NEED A FILTER.

I came on here asking for suggestions on what kind of filter I should get, if I should be using one or two.. My tank is 72 inches long, I Have kept many bass in the past and other fish, but I have never really cycled a fish tank.. I have let it sit and use the treatment to cure the tap water and all my fish tanks have been fine.. I have never waited 5 weeks to get the ammonia and nitrite and nitrate levels to exact.. I was just coming on here to learn how to do things the right way, to help me expedite the way I do it..

So, again drop the criticism .. get out of my thread if so.

Thanks

BTW Bluerose Thanks for your advice..

I appologize if my post came off as overly critical (I deleted it btw). I am pulling an all-nighter because I can't sleep tonight and still need to make it to work in the morning and I'm only running on caffein pills. So I tend to get a little irratible. Anyways, I understand now that you know that you need a filter. I was just worried that you were trying to skimp by with a great cost to you fish. Again, my appologies.

Anyways, for a filter, I have always used an Emperor made by Marineland. You would probably need two Emperor 400s, which really would be overkill but when it comes to filters, overkill is good. It will probably set you back $200 to $250 depending on where you buy from.

I appreciate your apologies and I apologize if I said anything wrong..
Anyways, Yeah I am just looking for suggestions so I can have the best possible habitat for my fish, I have really bonded with my bass and blue gill and my pleco because I have had them when they were under 2 inches .. Which I have had my pleco for 1 1/2 already he started out 2 inches in side of my 10 gallon.. He is about 9 inches in my 45 and I know hes gonna get really big inside of the 100 gallon.. :BIG:

I didn't mean my derogatorily either, it was simply that I thought people were being too harsh.

I would love to see those fish in a tank. The only time i have seen em is on the end of a fishing line. LOL. Very pretty though in a tank i am sure.

Blue roses suggestion for 2 HOBs is probably correct as well as the least expensive approach you could easily get 2 60 gallon rated HOBs for less then 100$. As she suggested using your established tanks filter media will help to acclimate your water and cycle your tank. This should make it less stressful for your fish when you transfer them to thier new mansion! Good luck and post some pics of the fish.

Well right now, I have 120 gallon filter on my 45 and it did me wonders..

If I had two 100 Gallon filter on my tank, you think my water would stay real clean if I kept up the maintenance?

I cannot wait to get this tank rolling, its gonna be a beautiful sight, But I AM not sure on real or fake plants..

Back
Top Bottom