Add sand to established tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jadedrain_06

Aquarium Advice Regular
My 10 gallon has finished cycling and I have not added any fish yet. I am a newbie and made I think a common mistake of not researching before I bought my tank and decor. I have been bouncing back and forth about fish I would like to add and I would really like salt and pepper corries. They like sand so I was wanting to replace half of my gravel with sand. I figured since it is only half I wouldn't lose all the bacteria in the gravel. Is there any suggestions or advice about the process or a brand? On another note would 4-6 (Male Guppies or Endler's Livebearers), 5 hatchet fish, 4 salt and pepper cories be good for a 10 gallon tank? I am not trying to crowd at all but found a website that said this would be a good mix. Really wanted some other opinions on this. I am not going to add them all at once obviously but just want a plan so I know I am getting the right fish for my long term goal. Thanks!

it does not matter about bacteria in gravel. it is the bacteria in the filter that matters.
removing all the gravel is fine and makes cleaning easier and the tank better looking imo
u can use pool filter sand or play sand as a cheap alternative, but i am having issues with my play sand and do not reccomend it. PFS is supposed to be much better.
black blasting sand looks amazing and would make the cories look extra interesting. hatchets need much more tank space than that tank, and would likely chase or even kill the guppies.

sand needs to be very thoroughly cleaned first, so i put 1/2 the amount for my 10g in a pillow case and rinsed it with a shower head and swilled the bag in a bucket until all the water ran clear. then put it in the tank to settle and done the next lot. note: take out the filter and put in a bowl of cycled tank water, so the settling sand doesnt clog it.

thank you very much for asking about this, it can take a good bit of bravery :) xx

Thank you for that advice! I will be doing that and the pillowcase idea is amazing! I read a few articles and it looked like a royal pain in the butt. Pillowcase is genius! I am thinking cories and guppies. Love love love them both. You can't learn unless you ask and I have patiently been wating for my tank to cycle so I am not taking any chances of messing up all my hard work lol. Thank you again! =)

i have my 'sand pillow case', the 'small fish transporting and acclimating cup', the 'algae scourer' and the 'plate to hold the filter during a pwc'. household thing that save loads of time!!

i have just raised 20 guppy fry to 1.5 cm and have put them in the main guppy tank, when about 5 have defo male colours and they are holding out against the adults. so proud!! guppies are verey fascinating, good choice :)

my bro had a cory, they can be quite picky about conditions and food so its best to get used to the tank before adding the cories xx

Back
Top Bottom