Air pump , do i really need it ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chipie

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi,
I have a 20 gallon tank that has been fully cycled for a few months now and i was wondering is i really need the air pump. I have an bubble wall. My fish seems happy with it but it's so noisy.

I have a fluval 104 and a whisper 20 for filters. I have 3 goldfish in it. I'll be buying a 55 gallon pretty soon.

Do i need the air pump ?
Thanks

No. If you have good surface agitation by your filters, enough gas exchange will take place without the additional surface agitation of a bubblestone. If you like the look, keep it.

Nope, but it really seems that fish love them :)

I stopped using them because they are unnecessary and noisy

I have a relatively powerful pump and it is all but silent. The size of a pump that you need for a 20 gal is small, so you might have a way to large of a pump, one that is going out, or just a pump that is particularly noisey. Get a bit more expensive one that is small, and you will have silent bubbles :)

Make sure there is good water movement. The baneficial bacteria needs as much oxygen as the fish.

I agree it has to be the pump. I can not hear the one on my 10gl tank and have a airstone along the entire back of the tank as well as a decoration hooked up.

My 55gl tank I have bubble curtains on the entire back and can not hear my pump. With the 55gl tank I of course can hear the trickle of water from the filter but its faint and soothing.

Well for my crayfish tank I use an airpump since they love lots of agitation :)

Well, I cheated with my air pump. I have it in the basement and run the airline upstairs through the floor to my tank. We installed check valves in the airline so if the power goes out the water won't siphon back down to the pump. Even the most expensive Whisper air pump makes noise, but if you hide it in the basement, no one will know, LOL. :)

I had my pump in the room behind the tank. The darn air pump noise travelled down the air hosing, into the tank, then out into the tank room. Sure it was quieter than having it in the room, but was still annoying. I built mufflers for the pumps, then just decided not to use air stones anymore. Now the air pump is in the exact same location, only being used to aerate a holding tank, and I can't hear it at all (for those that are skeptical that air pump noise can travel down the air hose and enter the tank).

squeekness said:
Well, I cheated with my air pump. I have it in the basement and run the airline upstairs through the floor to my tank. We installed check valves in the airline so if the power goes out the water won't siphon back down to the pump. Even the most expensive Whisper air pump makes noise, but if you hide it in the basement, no one will know, LOL. :)

do you find that you lose air pressure from the distance?

Youd only loose pressure if there were leaks, the pressure may take longer to build up but the same pressure will be there in the end. I found that if you put the air pump in a tupperware container that has a couple little air holes that helps quiet pumps up.

What brand is the pump?
I recommend the Whisper series of pumps--much stronger and much quieter than the Rena pumps

Has anyone used the Hydor Ario 4 Turbo Air Pump. Here's the description.

Virtually silent, the Ario Air Pump is unique in that it sits inside your aquarium. No diaphragm to break or wear out, no reduction of pressure due to clogged airstones, no need for check valves. Compact size makes it easy to hide amongst aquarium decor. Air control valve controls the amount of air released. For fresh or marine aquariums. This model is good for aquariums up to 20" in depth.

Was thinking about getting it. just wondering if anyone has used this. I have a eclipse filter with bio wheel. water flow is strong but the barbs look like they air.

Attachments

• img3036919_139.jpg
    img3036919_139.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 18
looks like a form of power head to me? Water is pumped through it, and with an airhose exposed above the surface air is entrained by the venturi effect?

Yeah I agree. I dont think youll be able to attach anything to it but if your looking for just some bubbles then give it a shot. I found a version with a built in LED too, I cant seem to find the dimensions so if your planning on burying it then you should check out how big it is.

Back
Top Bottom