Ammo Chips

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RooRoo

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello again....

I am in the middle of a fish in cycle. Pet Store told me to use ammo chips in my aquaclear filter to help bind ammo so it isn't as harmful to the fish.

I'm wondering now if this will delay or stall the cycle? I've read conflicting things. One thing I read says its good to use them, that they protect fish and the bacteria can still process the ammo as food. Other stuff I read says don't ever use them, they stall a cycle by starving the bacteria I'm trying to grow.

Opinions? Experiences? Advice?

I think it's best not to use them. If you have high ammo, you should be doing militant PWC's to keep it down for your fishes' sake, as those chips will only temporarily detoxify it anyway. I've heard that detoxified ammo is still available to nitrifying bacteria, but I think it can stall your cycle anyway. And it will definitely be unnecessary once you get your tank cycled.

I say, unless it's an emergency (like, 5-8 ppm ammonia), skip the chips!

Agreed. The only use I can think of for them is in buckets and bags when transporting fish.

okay, then I have a follow up question....what about Prime. Everyone touts it as the best water conditioner so that is what I use. I read the bottle this morning while doing a water change, and it says it detoxifies ammonia. Now my question is, if I am using a lot of that, will it also then delay the cycle with the same principals as the ammo chips? The thing is, I use a 4 gal bucket for my water changes. I normally take out 4 buckets worth. The prime bottle says one cap is for 50 gal and each thread is for 10 gal. It is hard to measure the correct amount to treat each bucket as I refill, so I know I am using more than needed. Would that have the same effect and bind the ammonia preventing the bacteria a food source??

I do keep up with my water changes. I am not using the products to avoid that work. The LFS just said they could only help make water conditions even better for the fish, they hooked me with that. Highest ammo has been in the tank was .50, I know that's high, but I took care of it as soon as possible. I guess I am just worried more about stalling or preventing my cycle by not having food for the bacteria.

I have always read that what prime does to ammonia does not make it unavailable to the bacteria, they will still consume it, so in theory it will not stall your cycle. I would continue to use it.

ammo chips can stall your cycle, since they absorb ammonia and the biofilter doesn't use it. prime detoxifies ammonia for 24-48 hours, making it available to the biofilter, but harmless to the fish

Thanks everyone....ammo chips will come out tonight after work, and will continue to use Prime.....glad to hear it too, I just bought a huge new bottle!

Did an almost 50% wc this morning, will check water perameters after work, and maybe do another. Fish already seem to be a bit more active, except one. I have 1 out of 6 danios that just mopes around. He sets himself up facing the current and just hovers there while the others are playing and chasing each other around. His gills don't look red or inflamed, but he is very lethargic, maybe he's just stressed from all the water changes.

Back
Top Bottom