Ammo > Nitrite

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Thumper828

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Set My aquarium up this past Saturday. 36gal. BF. I tested ammo a little bit ago and it looked as if it had dropped to a lighter green. Maybe 3ppm or so. Just to be sure, checked nitrites. Looked to be around .25ppm. cleaned test tubes thoroughly and double checked. Same results.(y) :thanks:

Should I add ammo to bring back up to the 4ppm or wait?

If you are fishless cycling, then no, wait for the ammonia to drop below 1 ppm before adding ammonia. Have your nitrites spiked yet?

Checked ammo, nitrite, ph this morning. 2-3ppm, .50ppm, 7.4.

I have searched around but still curious on nitrite spikes. Is that when the nitrite reading shoots off the scale? When it does should I do a pwc or let it ride to promote nitrate.

Ohhhh.... gotch ya. Thank you for the clarification!! Any special thing I need to do when that happens? I just want to be prepared and do everything right the first time.

Yeah, so when ammonia or nitrite get too high, the cycle will stall, basically it will just grind to a halt. But since you are fishless cycling, your ammonia is controlled by you, so you don't need to worry about that. But whenever your nitrite gets above 5-8 ppm, you should do a water change to get it back down to readable levels.

When did the cycle first start?

Yeah, so when ammonia or nitrite get too high, the cycle will stall, basically it will just grind to a halt. But since you are fishless cycling, your ammonia is controlled by you, so you don't need to worry about that. But whenever your nitrite gets above 5-8 ppm, you should do a water change to get it back down to readable levels.

When did the cycle first start?

OK. I see, I think. I need to keep my nitrites around 5-8, and at the same time keep my ammo up to around 4. When my nitrites spike I would ,then, need to start testing for nitrates?

I started my cycle( added ammo) last Sat. Aug. 10.

That's cool your in Cary. I've done some work there. I live in Caldwell County.

OK. I see, I think. I need to keep my nitrites around 5-8, and at the same time keep my ammo up to around 4. When my nitrites spike I would ,then, need to start testing for nitrates?

I started my cycle( added ammo) last Sat. Aug. 10.

That's cool your in Cary. I've done some work there. I live in Caldwell County.

No, you don't need to control your nitrites, you just don't want them to exceed 8 ppm, so once it gets around there you do a wc to lower it. But that should only happen once or twice. When your nitrites start showing up you should try to test for nitrates. It's good that you are already seeing some ammonia drop. If you started ~ a week ago, then you still have at least 2 weeks to go, probably more like 3 or 4 though. How much ammonia did you dose originally?

Sorry, IDK where Caldwell county is... :hide:

No, you don't need to control your nitrites, you just don't want them to exceed 8 ppm, so once it gets around there you do a wc to lower it. But that should only happen once or twice. When your nitrites start showing up you should try to test for nitrates. It's good that you are already seeing some ammonia drop. If you started ~ a week ago, then you still have at least 2 weeks to go, probably more like 3 or 4 though. How much ammonia did you dose originally?

Sorry, IDK where Caldwell county is... :hide:

Ok thanks for advice on my nitrites. I originally dosed ammo to 4ppm. As far as the time I am getting antsy but I believe this is the best way to go(fish-less)and will be better in the long run.

ammo down to 2ppm
nitrite up to .75-1ppm
ph steady at 7.3-7.4

LOL no prob about Caldwell. I live north of Hickory. In Lenoir.

Ok thanks for advice on my nitrites. I originally dosed ammo to 4ppm. As far as the time I am getting antsy but I believe this is the best way to go(fish-less)and will be better in the long run.

ammo down to 2ppm
nitrite up to .75-1ppm
ph steady at 7.3-7.4

LOL no prob about Caldwell. I live north of Hickory. In Lenoir.

Alright, looks like the cycle is coming along. There are tons of threads about people who couldn't start cycling the tank for 3 weeks or so (no ammo drop for 3 weeks), so yours isn't doing too bad.

Back
Top Bottom