Ammonia Levels Will Not Go Down

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zburtle

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm at my wits end. I've been trying to lower the ammonia for weeks now and nothing seems to help. No matter what I do there seems to always be 4+PPM. I've tested my tap water and it has anywhere from 0 to .25ppm. Even after 50 and even 80% water changes, my ammonia does not budge. I bought two angels plus active filters, one to use normally and cut the other up and put it in the filter. I did that a week ago and there's been no change. I've tried using Stress Zyme and that does nothing. I have well water so I don't think it could be chloramine. Any more suggestions?

If you're getting 4+ ppm even after a 50% water change I would first look at your testing technique. What exactly are you using to test the water and how do you test for the ammonia? Also, is the test kit outdated?

How long has this tank been set up and what fish are in it?

What are your tests for nitrite and nitrate?

What is your pH?

What is the temperature?

I was having a ridiculous nitrate reading of over 160.

It boiled down to this:
Used gravel.

Is your gravel used? Or been used for a long time?

Otherwise.... Is it the filter? Have you replaced your filter at all? Is your tank overstocked? What is your stock?

I had this issue. My ammonia wouldn't budge even with 0 ammonia in the tap. I know you probably shouldnt do this but I added ammonia remover add it disappeared. Mine happened because I broke the cycle

My gravel is new. Everything in the tank is new. I have about 16 fish in a 40 gallon. I bought a canister filter and it should be here today so hopefully that will help. Should I rinse the 3 weeks old filter cartridge? It does have gunk on it

Btw, it seems like a lot of water is running back out near the intake tube of the power filter instead of the outtake.

My gravel is new. Everything in the tank is new. I have about 16 fish in a 40 gallon. I bought a canister filter and it should be here today so hopefully that will help. Should I rinse the 3 weeks old filter cartridge? It does have gunk on it

its been setup for 3 weeks? id say your tank isn't cycled and theres too many fish producing ammonia. try to find some established filter media, it should help your ammonia convert

I'm installing a canister filter today so should I just rinse off the sponge and put it in the canister?

I'm installing a canister filter today so should I just rinse off the sponge and put it in the canister?

No. Leave it where it belongs. The canister will develop beneficial bacteria over time normally around 2 weeks

Just like JW said let them both run then after a month or so you can remove your hang on.if you really don't want the hang on you can place the media in the new filter.

I'm not sure exactly why people say not to move the filter pad, but personally I would just stick it right in the canister filter like you thought. Moving the bacteria from point A with high flow to point B with high flow isn't going to do anything bad to the cycle. Although, I would skip washing it out. In general where bacteria is concerned; the dirtier the better.

I did a 40% water change, took the carbon bag out, put the HOB back, installed the cartridge filter and added some prime. A few hours later I believe the water is already improving! Finally! I'm going to keep the HOB on there for a couple weeks at least so the cartridge can get some bacteria. Thanks for the help!

Here's the carbon bag. Looks pretty bad. Only half the water would go through it

Attachments

• image-1735713350.jpg
    image-1735713350.jpg
    144.6 KB · Views: 53
If you saw the stuff I pull out of my canister every month you would be pretty happy that your bag looks like that :D

Back
Top Bottom