Ammonia problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jgood9536

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Have a realistically new 50 gallon freshwater tank with 2 marineland bio wheel 330 filters, a marineland air pump and a single heater keeping the water at 75 steady. I have 1 inch of gravel on the floor with 2 fresh water plants and a few Rocks and plastic decorations for the fish to hide. I filled the tank with rocks and water and let it run for 2 days before I bought fish. I have 7 small tiger barbs and they seem happy and healthy swimming on all levels in the tank. I have been unable to get any new fish for 3 weeks because every time I test the water, my ammonia is at a 6 and I don't want to kill the new fish. How do I fix this problem, and not a temporary fix. I have gone from feeding the fish every day to feeding them every other day. I do not over feed them either, there are never leftovers. I have not used ammo-lock because it seems to be a temporary fix and I want a long term solution. Please help me!!

Long term solution... Cycle the tank. Check the stickies in the Getting Started forum for great info on how to handle this. You need to get the ammonia level down to below 0.25ppm, like now, with many large water changes.

Yup do what has been advised. AA has taught me so much in the brief time I have been a member. We all learn from experience. I started a 55 gallon fish less cycle last week. Follow the links Mumma posted they will help out a lot. Good luck to you and your fishes.

Back
Top Bottom