Ammonia to use for cycling

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

resist-

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I started to cycle my tank 1 week ago, and now i'm wondering if I'm using the right kind of ammonia. It was bought at an hardware store, as a household cleaner, and the container says it's perfume and fragrance free, so I thought it was safe. But now i'm afraid it has surfactants in it... And it does not list the ingredients. Is there any way i can tell if it has surfactants or anything bad for my tank ?

BTW I'm keeping my ammonia level to 4ppm, and i've seen very small snail appear in the tank. Does that mean the ammonia i'm using is safe ?

It should be ok. It sounds like the right stuff. This is one of the reasons why I've always favored the raw shrimp method. Is there a brand name or company that you can possibly search on the internet for detailed ingredients?

I'm not sure how accurate it is but I heard if you shake the bottle and it foams up then don't use it. It should be 100% pure ammonia.

I'm not sure how accurate it is but I heard if you shake the bottle and it foams up then don't use it. It should be 100% pure ammonia.

I shook the bottle, and I only saw a few big bubbles appear... Nothing that looks like foam...

Sounds like you have the right stuff. Being fragrance free is key, as well as it not containing any other chemicals.

Back
Top Bottom