Amonia spike won't go away. T.T

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Meiko

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I change my water out daily (10-20% ish) and I just have ONE fish in my 10 gallon gank. Am I just over feeding him? ^^; and I always have a steady 20ppm Nitrate where as I've never seen Nitrite T.T;

But since the nitrate is there I'm guessing my tank is cycled... I mean..how else did it get there? ><; so.. I have to be over feeding him..yeah, but 8.0 for ammonia? T.T; waaaaaahhh *Kills test and flushes them down toilet* Lies! LIES! ><;;

Help.. T.T;

Wow, slow down. Here are some basic question that will help us figure out what is going on.

How old is the tank, setup how long?

What kind of fish is it?

What band and type of test kit are you using?

Have you tried testing your tap water?

Have you had any fish die recently?

How much are you feeding, how often and what type of food?

What additives are you adding to the tank, chlorine or ammonia remover?

Any other information you might think is important would be helpful.

Meiko - This is the 2nd thread concerning this issue you've created and I think the answers were already given in the other thread. Let me summarize them below:

Ammo-Lok - You used this product and that has made your ammonia tests worthless. Ammo-Lok results in false positives. Your ammonia level is NOT 8 ppm so relax. :)

Stress Zyme - You also used this product. It introduces a bunch of bacteria that will eat ammonia/nitrite thus creating nitrates but this doesn't mean your tank is cycled. Your tank will still have to cycle because Stress Zyme does not contain the correct bacteria. Adding chemicals seems to always complicate things so try to stay away from them.

With that said, you only have 1 fish. Just be sure not to feed him more than he can eat in 2 minutes. I feed my fish twice a day like this. Then just be patient and perform 20% water changes weekly... not daily. Your tank will complete the cycle and the ammo-lok will eventually be removed from the tank. This will not happen in just a couple of days though. Be patient.

Good luck! :)

Back
Top Bottom