amonnia levels!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

irb

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
if anybody can help me!! my ammonia levels are high and i cant seem to bring them down. i have a 29 gallon tank with 4 guppies 5 mollies(1 died today) i had a pleco yesturday but i died also, 3 crabs and 4 danios. i have tested the ammonia and these are the reslults:
1/31= .25
2/2 = 1.0 - 2.0 ish
2/3 = 1.0
2/4 = 2.0
2/5 = 1.0
today i am going to do a 10 % water change would that help?

irb said:
if anybody can help me!! my ammonia levels are high and i cant seem to bring them down. i have a 29 gallon tank with 4 guppies 5 mollies(1 died today) i had a pleco yesturday but i died also, 3 crabs and 4 danios. i have tested the ammonia and these are the reslults:
1/31= .25
2/2 = 1.0 - 2.0 ish
2/3 = 1.0
2/4 = 2.0
2/5 = 1.0
today i am going to do a 10 % water change would that help?

You should do an even bigger water change to get those ammonia levels below .25 ppm at all times. That means water changes every day. Id say 50% maybe.

Eventually, the tank will finish cycling and water changes are not needed, but ammonia levels must drop to 0.

50% every day right? But tap water and use conditioner to make it safe immediately before adding it right?

irb said:
50% every day right? But tap water and use conditioner to make it safe immediately before adding it right?

Yep. If you add water directly from the sink, add enough conditioner for the entire tank before you start adding new water.

Yep. It might take some time, but keep it up daily until your parameters are lined out. Definitely use the conditioner, or the chlorine might kill whatever beneficial bacteria you already have grown. Good luck!

Thank you for your advice George!!!

irb said:
Thank you for your advice George!!!

You're very welcome, and good luck! If you run into any problems, don't be afraid to ask :)

Soo.. I have done two 50% water chnage this is the second day and there is no diffrence on the ammonia levels, at all. Should i continue doing it or any other suggestions..? (Im afraid it going to continue as high and harm thefish).. Should i justbe patient maybe im exagerating?

What is the ammonia level? Maybe you should be do a larger pwc daily depending on what your ammo levels are. Maybe a 75%? Just to keep the ammo below .25 PPM at all times. But what is the ammo level?

Ammonia levels should be dropping with water changes. Have you tested your tap water for ammonia? If not, do so just to see if there's any in there. Your tank is very overstocked too so the ammonia is going to build up quickly even with a lot of water changes, so that's something to consider as well. If you can rehome/return the Mollys that should help slow the ammonia buildup down.

George9 said:
What is the ammonia level? Maybe you should be do a larger pwc daily depending on what your ammo levels are. Maybe a 75%? Just to keep the ammo below .25 PPM at all times. But what is the ammo level?

Well, it is at 2.0 i test before and after... And the tap water is at 0 but all together its still 2.0maybe in between 1.0-2.0

librarygirl said:
Ammonia levels should be dropping with water changes. Have you tested your tap water for ammonia? If not, do so just to see if there's any in there. Your tank is very overstocked too so the ammonia is going to build up quickly even with a lot of water changes, so that's something to consider as well. If you can rehome/return the Mollys that should help slow the ammonia buildup down.

Then, i wouldnt be able to add more fish? EVER? :/ or is it the mollies that produce a lot of ammonia?

What kind of crabs do you have? Unless they're micro crabs, I hate to say it, but they won't last in freshwater, and they really won't last if it's full of water :( Most crabs sold in pet stores are brackish and need access to land.

And it was suggested you rehome the mollies 1) because they do have a fairly heavy bio-load, and 2) because you have a lot of fish to try and cycle with. Once it's cycled, you could get the mollys again, I think.

KaylNeko said:
What kind of crabs do you have? Unless they're micro crabs, I hate to say it, but they won't last in freshwater, and they really won't last if it's full of water :( Most crabs sold in pet stores are brackish and need access to land.

And it was suggested you rehome the mollies 1) because they do have a fairly heavy bio-load, and 2) because you have a lot of fish to try and cycle with. Once it's cycled, you could get the mollys again, I think.

I have fiddler crabs and when i see them wanting to climb i put them on a plant i got at petco i really dont know the name of it but it flexibe, so i kind of made a little mini island, i think, ohh i see so my tank is not cycled yet, why?

I have fiddler crabs and when i see them wanting to climb i put them on a plant i got at petco i really dont know the name of it but it flexibe, so i kind of made a little mini island, i think, ohh i see so my tank is not cycled yet, why?

I know you're not going to like this, but please think about rehoming your crabs--either to another tank (ten gallon would be fine), or to someone else. Read through this--they're not hard to care for: Basic Fiddler Crab Care A plant or mini island (especially if it floats) is not enough for them--they eat by sifting through the sand that's on land, not the water, and they need brackish water of around 1.010 or so.

George9 said:
You should do an even bigger water change to get those ammonia levels below .25 ppm at all times. That means water changes every day. Id say 50% maybe.

Eventually, the tank will finish cycling and water changes are not needed, but ammonia levels must drop to 0.

Thanx george i finally lowered the ammonia with the 50 pwc i was prob exagerating , thnx so much ???

KaylNeko said:
I know you're not going to like this, but please think about rehoming your crabs--either to another tank (ten gallon would be fine), or to someone else. Read through this--they're not hard to care for: Basic Fiddler Crab Care A plant or mini island (especially if it floats) is not enough for them--they eat by sifting through the sand that's on land, not the water, and they need brackish water of around 1.010 or so.

I will prob change them to another aquarium bcuz i dont want to rehome thy are entertaining, thanx for advice??

No problem. They're awesome little crabs--trying to figure out how to set up a large brackish tank with a land section that will leave enough water for a good number of fish without worrying about drowning them, since they're not the best of swimmers in deep tanks. Good luck with them! They're fairly entertaining on land. :D

Back
Top Bottom