Another noob trying to get started...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Varuu

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi everyone,

First of all thank you all for your help throuout the site it did help me alot so far. Right now however I am lost and can't find the answer I am looking for.

First off, I did all the mistakes one can make...

Bought a fish tank, set it up, trusted my LFS and boom... Disaster

I bought a 20g tank tall i believe it is only 2 feet wide. A Tetra EX20 whisper filter, tetra whisper 20 air pump and a heater (not plugged in at the moment as room temp is 80). Filled it up and added a bottle of "Startsmart complete".
The water was also treated with prime.
As instructed by the LFS i ran the tank for a week empty (just sand and decorations) and brought them a water sample a week later.
They told me I should be fine and can start adding fish.
I guess I got still lucky as he told me to only start with a few zebra danios they had for sale. I got 4 and added them to the tank. Of course doing the whole bag in the aquarium thing and dilluting the bag water with aquarium water over time.

Fast forward 6 weeks.

Now, that I realize I should have cycled the aquarium correctly in the first place and have my own water testing kit (API FW master liquid). I am not sure what to do.
In the meantime 3 of the 4 zebras died and the one left does not look to good either anymore. I tested my water and last week finally started showing nitrites.
Right now my water parameters before water change tonight were 1-2ppm ammonia, 0.5-1 nitrites and 0-5 nitrates. For the last week my nitrites finally started showing and are more towards purple every day but here is the weird thing. My ammonia is steady at 1-2ppm and does not drop even though nitrites are now showing so I must have some of the first kind of bacteria i need?
I did test my tap water and it shows 1-2ppm ammonia also therefor i did the last few water changes with store bought water about 50% every other day to try and save my fish. 2x with store bought water so far. Once I am close to zero I figure I can do a change with my tap water and use that as ammonia supply thats what I read in one of the cycle guides anyway.

So at this point i am not sure if there is anything I should do different to get the ammonia down? or is one fish really producing that much of it? I did even cut back feeding and as I did overfeed for sure in the beginning i am not anymore.

Thank you for any advice.

why are you using store bought water? what does the store bought water parameters look like?
If I were you I would just use prime and do water changes with your tapwater.

Because my tapwater reads 1-2ppm ammonia and the bought water is 0 ammonia and I was trying to get it down for the last surviving fish?

Is this store bought drinking water or spring water? If its rodi water are you adding a buffer? What is the ph of the tank? Ph crashes can occur during a cycle and kill off beneficial bacteria if your water isn't buffered.

My PH in the tank is 7.8.
The water i used is spring water, never tested ph of this.
My tap water PH is also around 7.8 maybe a little lower.

Also just tested ammonia again and it is between 0.5 and 1 right now after wc about 2 hours ago. nitrite down a little closer to 0.25-0.5 too.

So should I just use tap water for future water changes? I am just worried because of the ammonia levels in the tap water? i read once the filter is established it will be no problem to use the tap water as bacteria will handle it or if during cycling my ammonia drops i can use my tap water to redose more with the tap water is that correct or did I miss understand that?

Thank you for your help

I'm not really sure, maybe someone else can chime in. I thought prime would detoxify any ammonia in the tapwater.

Yup. Prime and other ammonia detoxifying chemicals do detoxify the ammonia but only for approximately 24-48 hours. It's just in a bound state for that time period, it doesn't go away.

Back
Top Bottom