API Nitrite test discrepancies??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

missmountain

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey all,

I am mid-cycle with my 25 gallon. My ammonia had been stuck at 0.5 for a while, and just yesterday it tested between 0.25 and 0.5, and today it is clearly at 0.25. Since the ammonia has been steadily seeming to decrease, I did a nitrite test, and after 5 minutes it clearly read 0.25. I decided to test again (I've been testing twice just to make sure) and it came up at 0. I did a third test just to see, and that came up at 0 as well.

So...is my nitrite 0.25 or 0? I haven't used Prime in over a week, and have been using Tetra Aqua Safe as my conditioner when I top off the tank. Anyone else experience different readings with the exact same water sample??

There are going to be descrepencies in all water tests. The more expensive the test the smaller they are in general. For all intents and purposes the API nitrate test is perfectly accurate as a .25 ppm difference means absolutely nothing as far as water quality goes.

I just wanted to jump in and ask for advice for a similar problem. My tank has been up and running for 3 months with fish in for the last month. I made the mistake of following the recommended guidelines and changed the sponge in my 110 yesterday because they said it should be changed every two months. I used my API master test kit to check levels today and the results revealed ammo @.25-.5, Nitrite @.25-.5 & Nitrate @5.0 +/-. Is my tank ok with these levels? Fish all appear to be good and showing no signs of distress. My set up and Stocking are:
Tank (LxDxH): 48 x 12.5 x 25 inch (64.9gUS)
Filters: Aquaclear 110, Aquaclear 70

4 x Albino Cory (Corydoras aeneus)
2 x Angelfish (Pterophyllum scalare)
1 x Bamboo Shrimp (Atyopsis moluccensis)
1 x Clown Pleco (Panaque maccus)
3 x Ghost Shrimp (Palaemonetes sp.)
4 x Guppy (Poecilia reticulata)
3 x Long-Finned African Tetra (Alestes longipinnis)
2 x Gold Mystery Snail (Pomacea cuprina)
2 x Tiger Nerite Snail (Nerita sp.)

Tank Cycling

Hey all,

I am mid-cycle with my 25 gallon. My ammonia had been stuck at 0.5 for a while, and just yesterday it tested between 0.25 and 0.5, and today it is clearly at 0.25. Since the ammonia has been steadily seeming to decrease, I did a nitrite test, and after 5 minutes it clearly read 0.25. I decided to test again (I've been testing twice just to make sure) and it came up at 0. I did a third test just to see, and that came up at 0 as well.

So...is my nitrite 0.25 or 0? I haven't used Prime in over a week, and have been using Tetra Aqua Safe as my conditioner when I top off the tank. Anyone else experience different readings with the exact same water sample??

Hello miss...

Just curious, are you cycling your tank with fish?

B

Back
Top Bottom