Aquarium Setup and Cleaning

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

buggsmarinetank

Aquarium Advice Regular
I am in the process of starting up an aquarium setup and maintanence service. I am interested to know if anyone has dealt with such companies, and if so.... what they charge. Thanks a lot

I've heard of a place in STL MO that does that. It is actually a lfs that goes to business and maintains their tanks. I'm not sure how much they charge, but it seems like a great idea if there is a demand in your area for it. I am assuming that's what you mean. If not, oops. :D

holy cow, where do you live at?
Thats incredible.. im starting the company, and Im only going for around 20-25 an hour.

what if you made a monthly flat fee for different tank sizes? you wouldnt make as much money but at least your customers would feel like they're getting a deal and you'd have their business for that much longer or maybe you could have multiple plans to accommodate individual clients. that's what i would do but i didnt really think about the logistics of it.

I like felfs idea but you could personalize it even more. Have some typical monthly rates but give each client a "deal". You could have a maintenance program just for there setup and then go with that. Problem with a flat rate is some setups would take more maintenance thenm others. Fw to sw are different so should the prices. Same for planted vs non-planted.

Ask Darin from captive reefs. I think I remember him answering this question to someone else a while back.

oh of course, I mean flat rates for individual people. Yeah Yeah I totally agree... I promise you that if you clean my 20 gallon high, it owuld tank you atleast 2 hours..... i have so many decorations it is not even funny. Thanks for the posts guys, keep any suggestions coming this way :0)

I know this may sound weird, but you could do kind of like our copier company does. They come out once a month (of course you would probably go out every two weeks or weekly) and they charge us per month. For example, say if someone had a 250 gal tank, you would figure how much time it typically takes to maintain that tank. Then, charge them each month for what it typically takes. They sign a contract for maintanence. That way, if you ever go out and only spent an hour on the tank and the next week you spend 3 hours, it evens itself out. It's just a thought. Because then you know exactly how much money you will have coming in and your customers will know exactly how much they will have to pay each month.

good ideas, good ideas. Its pretty fun starting a hobby like this... I call it a hobby because Im not getting into it for the money, I only wish to make enough to finance the biggest tank in the universe... lol, but I enjoy aquariums so I probably will end up giving people an awesome deal. Enough to please my hobbie ya know

Great idea, but I think its sad that people won't even spend the time to work on their own tanks. Its part of the fun.

Yes but if you gear towards commercial businesses, they just have it for the look. Plus, it calms employees. I wish I could talk my boss into getting a tank. How much fun that would be to setup. :D Personally, I love maintenance day on our tanks. I know, I'm odd.

Back
Top Bottom