This is a follow-up to some posts from the last couple of weeks here.
I have 5 dwarf rainbowfish that have columnaris--almost entirely of the mouth "fungus" form. All attempts at treatment have been unsuccessful. I am at a loss for what to do.
-- for the first few days, when symptoms were very mild, I tried treating with MelaFix and PimaFix. When I noticed symptoms getting worse, I discontinued that.
-- I then treated for a full 5-day cycle with the combo of Maracyn and Maracyn-II. Besides the mouth area not getting better on any of the fishes, one or two began developing the early signs of fin rot.
-- I then began treating with Kanamycin, both laced in their food and dosing into the tank water itself. As of today, I have finished up a full cycle of that. Net result: some of the fish I have seen no change, in at least two the mouth lesions are even worse, and one of the fish has begun listing to the side from time to time, like it is having a hard time staying straight in the water.
At this point, I have now spend more than twice as much money on drugs as I did on those 5 fish to begin with. I have enough kanamycin left to do a second 5-day dose, which I will do, but if that doesn't work then quite frankly, I am not going to spend even more money to keep trying drug after drug after drug.
Just so you know, it was bad water that probably led
to the initial infection (had a funeral in the family, no tank maintenance for over a week, friend feeding fish, came home to ammonia 1 ppm
and nitrite 0.5 ppm
), though I am also thinking the fish probably were diseased before I bought them, as I had had them less than two weeks when this happened and last time I went to that lfs
I would say about a third of the rainbowfish they had in their tanks had the same lesions/cottony growth on their mouths.
However, a few pwc
's in those first days I have been back, and since then my ammonia and nitrites have been 0 and nitrates 5ppm and under. So no way to explain away the lack of healing to bad water.
So that leaves me with two options, it seems. Option #1 is to stop drug treatments altogether and either let the ranibows fight this off on their own or die. The advantage to this is it gives them a chance to live; the disadvantage is that I also have 6 zebra danios and 3 cory cats in this aquarium...and I worry that if I leave the rainbowfish in there after I have discontinued antibiotics, then I might end up losing the entire tank. (Seems that while these antibiotics have not cured my rainbows, at least they have prevented my other fish from getting sick.)
Option #2 would be to euthanize the rainbows now, use the second 5-day kanamycin cycle to eliminate any leftover columnaris from the tank and/or my other fish, and basically at least have a healthy tank with those 9 fish in it and then decide where I want to go from there.
If anyone has reason to recommend one of these options over the other, please let me know. Or if there is a third option, I am all ears.