Average Cycle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bluegillfreak

Aquarium Advice Regular
I am by in no means in any rush but I was wondering how long the average fish in cycle takes? My water levels seem to be very stable but I do have ammonia present am I even starting to cycle yet?

Fish-in cycles can vary quite a bit but typically @6-8wks I would say can be expected but possibily longer. If you have access to some cycled/seeded media, this can cut the time down a quite a bit depending on how much you add (a friend, lfs, or buy it). If your just starting to see your ammonia levels rise, you have a ways to go yet. Have some patience, stay on top of your daily tests & water changes, and you will be fine!

I just learned about cycling but I already have fish. What now?!

Last edited:
My ph sits around 7.6 ammonia never gets over .5 day to day between changes and I have no nitrites or nitrates yet.

Your doing just fine! Have some patience! Start looking into obtaining some cycled media if you desire to speed things up- if you get stuck, you can purchase an 'active' filter from Angelsplus. Otherwise, you will just have to wait for your bacteria to establish themselves. :)

http://www.angelsplus.com/FiltersSponge.htm

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom