Average time for ammo to drop

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chiz

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey guys and gals. In your experience, what is the general time frame for seeing ammonia drop below 4ppm during a fish-less cycle. 56 gallon, 8.1-8.2 pH, very hard water, 84 degrees. I dosed my tank up to 4ppm about a week ago and I still haven't seen a drop in ammo or a rise in nitrites. The temp was at 80 up until about 2 days ago and then I upped it to 84. I have a canister filter with the output creating good water flow, but I don't have it right at the surface to create a lot of bubbles. I am in absolutely no hurry, I just want to make sure I'm not doing something wrong. Thanks as always!

That's ok seems little odd I hasnt dropped at all. 3 days for me when it started dropping. Lowering the water level in your tank a little will create more aggetation this creating more oxygen may be little noisy though but oxygen is important to the BB. If you don't want the noise for around 15 20 bucks go to Walmart get a small air pump, line and stone to give you oxygen that's what I did.

Sometimes it just takes a little longer. I'm sure you'll see some kind of change in a couple days.

I'm sure you have, but the water has been dechlorinated, correct?

Sometimes it just takes a little longer. I'm sure you'll see some kind of change in a couple days.

I'm sure you have, but the water has been dechlorinated, correct?

Yes, I dechlorinated. As far as I can tell, all other parameters are normal. Guess I'll just give it another couple days.

Back
Top Bottom