Baby formula and fish.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mrs.h2012

Aquarium Advice Addict
Weird subject I know. Long story short my 3 year old got ahold of my daughters formula, and dumped some in my 10g. I was able to get my 2 platys and 2 of my fry out, the water is darn cloudy I cannot find the third fry. They are in a bucket of conditioned water. Would it be safe to put them in my 30? I'm so afraid to do it because I don't want it to affect my fish in it. What should I do? Also Wouldn't it be safe to say after this my cycled 10g is pretty much shot and I would have to start from scratch again?

Do a water change and check your parameters. Perhaps dose a little ammonia and check in the morning.

eTrain said:
Do a water change and check your parameters. Perhaps dose a little ammonia and check in the morning.

I don't have any ammonia I can dose, I did a cycle to begin with. I know food isn't an accurate way to do it but would that work?

Did you check the ingredients do the formula? I wouldn't think there is anything to toxic. Mostly minerals/metals? If you check your GH regularly compare it. I don't think there would be anything that would kill your bacteria in it. I'm no expert but if your parameters are safe your fish should be safe. Just watch your ammonia/nitrites/nitrates close for a few days to make sure the bacteria hasn't been compromised.

I dont think there is. So I should be ok to clean the tank out really well and out the fish back in then?

eTrain said:
How's it looking today?

I changed out as much water as I could, refilled it halfway and changed it again last night, still a little cloudy so I'm gonna let things run for a little while then test.

eTrain said:
So two days in how's it looking today?

Still getting cycled readings thank goodness. Still have my platies and fry in my 30g.

eTrain said:
Any luck with the 3rd fry?

Yes I was able to find it, all of my fry are in my 30 with all my other fish. Not sure if their still alive or not, or if they've been eaten :/ I have a good many plants in my 30 so I'm hoping they are hiding.

Back
Top Bottom