bad fish owner

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

burntcoffey

Aquarium Advice Newbie
hello all, I am new to the site but not new to fish keeping so there is not excuse.

I got a goldfish yesterday brought him right home and put him in a newly set up tank. Given just one fish in a 10+ gallon tank I thought i could get away with not waiting a cycle.
I did use water conditioner, have heater, filter, but it is a previously used tank.
Looked great last night, not so great this morning.
Cloudy water and fish hanging at the top alot.

Is there anything I can do to remedy my stupidity and keep this guy alive?

Water change, water change, water change. If it's a common gold fish, it really shouldn't be in a tank. Those things need 350g ponds at min when fully grown Especially a 10g, I would try to take it back to the store. Also gold fish don't need heated, they are cold water fish.

it WAS an oranda. It was from petsmart so maybe I was expecting too much. I am doing a behavior/training project and goldfish (I think is the best choice)
Open to suggestions

Last edited by a moderator:
it WAS and oranda. It was from petsmart so maybe I was expecting too much. I am doing a behavior/training project and goldfish (I think is the best choice)
Open to suggestions

Ah, that is a better choice then but still not good long term. Betta fish are also trainable, don't produce as much waste, and don't need 30+ gallon tanks. Cycling is still important as it effects all fish and the waste build up from it can burn and cause long term issues with there gills

To try that would of needed a much bigger tank unfortunately. I'm guessing a scale up factor of 5 or 10. Still fish-in cycling but bigger volume of water to dilute the ammonia.

As above, I'd also suggest water changes. Plus something like seachem prime to detoxify the ammonia, minimal feeding and not disturbing the filter (just in case).

And pinching some mature/seeded filter media from somewhere if you can and it will fit in the filter.

The betta is a great suggestion. I've heard of them being trained to go through hoops?

Yeah betta fish can be trained to do all sorts of things, like flare on command, go through hoops, jump for food, etc. There's a kit called R2 Fish School with all sorts of trick stuff.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I just did a 90% water change on my 10 gallon Beta tank this last weekend and got no complaints from my fish. I just put him in a glass pitcher (1 gallon with de-chlorinated water of course) and did my business.

I needed to make major tank changes.

Filled it all up again and "Frenchy" is fine now :^)

P.S. - I don't even have to catch "Frenchy"...I just put a small pellet of food in my cupped hand and he swims in - he doesn't even seem to be bothered much about being out of the water for a few seconds.

Back
Top Bottom