Best possible thing to move fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lyquidphyre

Aquarium Advice Addict
We finally found a rent house and will be moving this week.. and the cool thing is Stephen's mom let us borrow her cooler on wheels!!
I don't have to worry about plastic bags, splashing buckets or fish jumping out- wahoo!

did i mention its on wheels?!! I can just wheel that sucker on into the house

Now im not dreading moving all three fish tanks (35+ fish)...... as much

I'm in the same boat with ya. We are moving in July and I have to try to move 4 fish tanks (150 gal being the largest) from our apt to James' moms house for a week (there is a 7 day gap between the leases), then move them to the new house. And it's not like her house is just down the street, it's 45 minutes away. Grrrrr. :D I'll check out the cooler on wheels, sounds like a great investment! Thanks!

One word of caution... be careful with what might have been in the cooler prior to your fish. It may not be a bad idea to line the inside with a large plastic bag. But yes, the wheels are a BIG plus.

Good idea jonnyb!

I have 5 or 6 five gal buckets, and ive used them to move fish before.. but the idea of wheels and a lid is really appealing!

The only problem is that you will have alot to do, besides setting up the tanks. It's a lot of work to set up and tear down the tanks twice in one week. Have you considered putting the fish in Kordon breathable bags for the entire week?That way, you only have to handle them once. Supposedly the fish can stay in these bags for up to 6 weeks. Here is a link for a discussion on the bags from another forum http://pricenetwork.ca/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=30841 . About half way down the thread is a picture of 2 of those bags (small bags) each containing 7 fish between 1" and 1 1/2". i bought one of those bags on the Sunday, and they had been put into the bags on the Thusday before. They suffered no ill effects from being in the bag for 4 days. Something to consider, anyway.

I'd thought about that Bill, but several of our fish are about 8 inches long. How large are the bags?

I'm told they come in a variety of sizes, but i can't say for sure, or how much they cost. I had never even heard of these bags before seeing them, but I was impressed. Apparently, they aren't available in Canada yet, but they are readily available in the US. I possible wouldn't bother with a simple move, but with a difficult move or one where there could be delays, it would seem to be cheap insurance. I do know that in the aquarium lounge of pricenetwork were discussing what they had bought at my club's auction, a number said they lost fish they had bought. Some of these fish may have been in bags for 2 days (conventional fashion) and they were severely weakened. One thing about them is you can send them through the mail. Canada Post won't ship water, but since there is no air in the bag, it doesn't slosh when you shake it. I would also think, that the ride would be more comfortable since they would always be suspended in water, and wouldn't get bounced around as much. I do know that the fish I bought, had spent a little more than 3 full days in the bag (over 10" of fish in a 6 x 8 bag), and showed no sign of stress. They were eating within minutes of being put into the tank. I am most impressed.

I'll look into that BillD, Thanks! We are working on a deal with the realitor about getting into the house early, so hopefully it won't be an issue. But I'll definately keep those in mind.

Back
Top Bottom