Betta fish eats shrimp and snail food

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

goodeyesniper

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello all,

recently my betta has discovered that he loves algae wafers. unfortunately this is what I use to feed my ghost shrimp and snail. I'm experiencing two problems with this:
a. He won't let anyone else eat the wafers--he continues to intimidate and scare the shrimp off.
b. He won't stop eating the wafers and I am afraid he's going to get himself sick. His belly is very puffed up!

Is there any way I can get him to not eat their food? I usually give him a pellet a day but lately I've been trying to fast him since he's been overeating. Now when I put the algae wafer in, he darts right to it and starts picking it apart.

any advice on how to stop him?

Maybe up his food to two or three pellets a day. (Depending on how big they are)
And I put two algae wafers in my tank so my cories can get to one while my plecos distracted on the other.
Try putting a wafer on either end of the tank.

Same here. He'll eat his food and whatever else goes in the tank. My guy bloats like CRAZY. flakes work well bc he don't bloat as bad and some still sink for the shrimp.... IME

Lol my betta eats everything! He's scared of even my cherry shrimo now! Its a weird scene, the betta cruises up and ba! Pack of cherries and amanos terrify him and back to the cave haha

All my fish, and I mean all, love love love, Omega One Veggie Rounds. I gave up and now put in two of them at night, so everyone can have some.

I'm not having too much luck on the multiple pieces of wafer route--my betta just swims around the tank trying to eat all of the pieces.
The shrimp attack him but he just keeps on going!

Oh dang.
Idk if someone suggested this as well but have you tried feeding your betta his floating food while having the wafer in?

And also maybe you could place the wafer in some sort of cave where the betta cant see it but your bottom dwellers can still get to

All I have is one cave and my betta attacked the shrimp eating a wafer inside hahaha.
I might try the fish flake method-- some will fall to the bottom and he can get what he needs on the top of the water. It sounds like a good idea.

Honestly! I'm mostly worried for my snail, he never gets anything :'(
I currently have the light off in the tank and I have a small one pointing in it. Seems to be working for now.

Back
Top Bottom