BioCUBE 14 Filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kc2ped

Aquarium Advice Activist
I am having trouble keeping the pump in my BioCUBE 14 from sucking air. The tank is about six months old now and this has never been a problem as long as I kept the water at the correct level.

I have the tank filled to the correct level. Water is pouring out of the overflow from the bioballs and I guess it is creating bubbles in the motor chamber that the motor sucks in before they can rise to the surface. I had a sponge for my emergency sponge filter in the mechanical filtration chamber which doesn't have a cartridge in it because I am told the carbon would adsorb all the good stuff from the water that my plants need to survive. Things used to be fine when it was floating in front of the cutout to let water into the bioballs chamber but now that causes the water level in the pump chamber to fall below the critical level and the pump sucks air. I moved the sponge on top of the bioballs strainer and when it obstructs the cutout from the mechanical chamber there isn't enough water in the pump chamber and when I move it to let any more water through the cutout I get a waterfall of water coming out of the bioballs overflow.

I don't think there is supposed to be that much water in a wet/dry system or it wouldn't have dry in the name. I am worried that all that water is going to drown my bacteria and break my cycle. I tested the water yesterday and ammonia was at 0.25 ppm where it always is and where my tap water is, nitrites are 0.0 ppm like normal, and nitrates are up a notch from normal to 80 ppm. pH has been rising slowly after a fall and is at 6.6. KH is normally too low to measure but was up to 35.8 ppm and GH, which has always been high has dropped off to 143.2 ppm. For what it's worth, temperature is around 78. The tank is overstocked but everyone seems as healthy as the day I got them. I did a partial water change yesterday of about 20%

I am wondering if there are leaves, a colony of snails, or just slime that are obstructing the low level connection between the bioballs and the pump. I forgot to clean the sponge when I cleaned the filter on the 1st of the month so will do that today but am new to this kind of filtration and leery of taking out the bioballs for fear of breaking NY cycle if the chamber flooding hasn't done that already.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be welcomed.

Hmm alot goin on there. I dont use wet and dry filter system but I can 100% ensure u that ur beneficial bacterial can't be drown ( in a canister filter the bacteria are full submerge) so Dw about ur cycle breaking

Hubert90 said:
Hmm alot goin on there. I dont use wet and dry filter system but I can 100% ensure u that ur beneficial bacterial can't be drown ( in a canister filter the bacteria are full submerge) so Dw about ur cycle breaking

I am far from an expert on this, but I think we are dealing with different types of bacteria in our respective filters. Bacteria that colonize a canister filter would have to be anaerobic bacteria while the bacteria in a wet/dry system, being in contact with the air, are probably aerobic. Hence my fear of drowning them.

nah the bacteria is the same. leave the sponge in the 3rd chamber, and im not sure on the carbon but the filter cartridge shouldnt matter either way, if anything it should let the water flow more. you wont drown the bacteria

Just to close this issue out, when I tore the filter down I found that the bio balls looked like they had just come out of whatever machine makes them, but the sponge in chamber #3 was choked with brown slime, especially where the water is supposed to flow from chamber #2 into chamber #3. After cleaning it all is fine.

Back
Top Bottom