Bought some supplies (getting started)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

-=Jeff=-

Aquarium Advice Freak
I bought some Gravel for my 40 Gal tank tonight.. I wanted mostly black but my 3yr old wanted Blue.. so I have multicolored Blue (Drak blue, Light blue and Green)

I need to rinse the gravel off before I put it in the tank right?

Tank is empty right now and ready to be set up

I ordered my filter and heater.. Peguin 350B Bio-wheel.. and a Stealth 200W heater..

Once the Gravel bed is in I wil buy some plantes and rocks for it..

Although my son had to have the SpongeBob Pineapple house for the tank, so that will be installed too.

The gravel needs to be rinsed. I used to put it in a kitchen strainer and run water over it. If you purchased Este's gravel, it doesn't take much to get it clean. It is always very clean when shipped.

I do what Fishyfanatic does - rinse the gravel in a colander bought specifically for that purpose. I also lay a paper towel or two over the drain hole, and then put a wire mesh drain basket into the drain. The very fine gravel that will rinse away will stop your garbage disposal from operating, if you don't stop it with the paper towel/mesh basket. I found out the hard way!

Thanks all.. I can't think of the brand of gravel, I got it at Petco, I found it cheaper online but after the added shipping costs it made no difference if I got it online or at Petco.

I will get extra strainer to be dedicated for the tank. I was pretty sure I had to clean it first but wanted to double check.

As for a fishless cycle, I am planning on that too, but I would guess i should get the gravel and decorations in the tank before adding water. I am sure I will have more questions as I go.

Jchillin said:
The method is exactly the same.

Cool, now it does not specify the shrimp size.. I assume not the popcorn shrimp but the regular size and not the jumbo..

Also Shell on or off?

I have a feeling the deteriorating shrimp will disgust my wife.. LOL

The shrimp is not the preferred method asthetically because it smells and makes the tank look gross. You could also use pure ammonia purchased from a hardware store. You'll have to dose it every day or every other day, but it does the same thing and won't stink up your tank. There's just something about a rotting shrimp in the tank that sounds gross. But it's all personal preference.

Fishyfanatic said:
The shrimp is not the preferred method asthetically because it smells and makes the tank look gross. You could also use pure ammonia purchased from a hardware store. You'll have to dose it every day or every other day, but it does the same thing and won't stink up your tank. There's just something about a rotting shrimp in the tank that sounds gross. But it's all personal preference.

What is the dose size? is there a specific dose per gallon method? I think that will be a better choice for me.

There is a dosage per gal, but I don't know what it is off the top of my head. Basically just experiment unless someone can chime in with the answer. Do you have a liquid reagent test kit?

And Bill comes to the rescue with Tom's calculation. :D If you ever need to know anything about calculations of a fish tank, Tom knows all. :)

Kudo's to you for going fishless!

Back
Top Bottom