Can a tank cycle without being attended for a week?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

20 20

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm going away for a 7 days the 3rd week in July. I'm going to get my cichlid tank soon, and wondered if I got it before I left on vacation could I start it up and let it cycle while I'm away? If it's ok, anything special I should do? If I can't then I have to wait until I'm back from vacation. And I'd rather not wait! :D

Any opinions would be appreciated!

Ohhhh...

You guys are getting me excited...

Gotta get the tank, gotta get the tank, gotta get the tank...

:mrgreen:

Personally, I don't believe it will cycle this way. You need to carefully monitor the ammonia & nitrItes or the tank will take forever to cycle. Since it usually should take less than a week if done properly, why not wait until you get back & cycle with ammonia & bacteria from an established tank?

See: http://www.thepufferforum.org/viewtopic.php?t=331

It will just get it started.. I really doubt you could get it done very quickly unmonitored.. but Im all about it getting started...

Since it usually should take less than a week if done properly,

I've never heard of anyone cycling a tank in a week. It takes just that long for the ammonia to drop. And when I say this, it is from scratch without any seasoned items from another tank.

I personally think you would be fine starting your cycle with pure ammonia by adding enough ammonia to reach 4-6ppm. I normally only add enough for it to reach 4ppm, but since you will be away for sometime I would add a little bit more.

Pufferpunk said:
Totally up to you... It may hinder the process by not doing it properly though.

I don't understand how having the tank going for a week, even unattended, could possibly hinder the process? It seems like even in some crazy worst case scenario where no bacteria grew, you would still at least be starting from the same point as if you started when you got back from vacation.

NIMFT!!! Just where I want to put my new, stressed out fish, in a tank where something was rotting...

LOL.. waste is waste and if the cycle cleaned the rotting food or raw shrimp then of course it will be ready for your stressed out fish.. when you cycle with chemicals your missing the bacteria that breaks down rotting food, fecis and the like to usable ammonia so your new stressed out fish are having to finish that part of the cycle.. I dont think its that big of a deal personally either way.. both are better then a fish in cycle..

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom