Can i cycle without a fishless cycle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ok so not big only 27l I know ridiculous but next month I have a 100gal coming :) it's huge haha what I really want in my tank is some neons, betta and a bristlenose :) so recommendations from their something bright and I really want a pleco because I love them and they save me a job also :) when my big tank comes I'll also be getting a red tail/ ruby shark :)

Ok so here's how I currently have my setup, tank has been filled and filter running with dechlorinated water for about 5 days heater came today at 7am this morning GMT and has been running since and is a comfortable 24 degrees :) I have a bit of fern in there aswell which is nice, am gonna get more tomorrow I think :) maybe a test kit. Then within the next two days, hopefully tomorrow I should be receiving the mature tank water and gravel tomorrow and not to sure what else he may bring me. What to do now ? And what kit should I pick up that wont break my pocket :) thankyou :)

I'm afraid that when it comes to test kits there is only 1 that is worth spending money on. The first one will be a little bit more because you have to buy it at a regular store. After you buy your first at the store then order one online, you'll get a better deal and that way you have a back up when the first one runs out.
You need an API Master Test kit in the store it costs about 18.19 U.K. pounds or $30.00 USD. But for your next kit online you can go to www.amazon.com or www.bigalsonline.com and get the same kit for 9.69-12.12 UK pounds or $15.99-$19.99 USD. You won't find a more accurate test kit and in the long run it is cheaper because of how many tests it does.
It really is something you can't and shouldn't live without well your fish can't live without anyway.

Thankyou for that information that has actually helped quite a bit, can you recommend any fish for my tank ?
The kind of fish you get is such a personal choice, there are so many to choose from.
I noticed on a couple of posts back you mentioned wanting to get a Betta. They are beautiful but it's rare that you find one that works in a community tank. and if any of the other fish you choose happen to have even slightly flowing fins, the Betta will see it as another Betta and the battle begins.
The best thing to do is check out some fish sites and see which ones really strike you. Then see if their needs match, like pH, water temp, tank size. And since your just starting out, you may want to stick to the hardier fish, it's way to easy to kill the sensitive fish. After all that then check on their compatibility.
Then make a list of your favorites. That will help everyone here help you to get the the fish that will make you happiest.
One of my absolute favorite fish are the Discus, but they are way out of my price range. But for anyone that can afford them they are really beautiful. Here are a couple of pictures of the Discus, even though they look a lot like SW fish their not they are FW. My favorite one is the Checkerboard Discus

those are beautiful, but if you're a beginner I wouldn't get those as your first fish. They are very sensitive. You could do a tropical community tank or a cichlid tank. with a 100 gallon tank you will have many choices. For a tropical tank, I would recommend anything like gouramis, tiger barbs, glass cats, etc. and you can put a brittlenose pleco with those too.

I have a red tailed shark in with my cichlids. But I have lesser aggressive cichlids. I wouldn't put a red tailed shark in with anything highly aggressive (such as oscars or convicts) or with anything that isn't aggressive (such as guppies). But if you want a community tank, they can go in there as long as you get semi-aggressive fish and fish of similar size. That way the other fish won't get picked on by the shark. Oh, and neons and a betta probably aren't good tank tank mates for a red tailed shark. They also can grow to 6 inches in length. Hope this helps!

Yes, you can do a fish cycle. That's how the vast majority of aquariums in history have been cycled. It's very tough on the fish, though. Somewhat torturous, in fact. If you don't mind killing a few, go ahead with it.

With only a 27L tank (roughly ten gallons right?), I would go with a more docile community tank, and look at things like neon tetras or flame/cherry tetras, maybe some fancy guppies. You might want to add a couple of swordtails as well, once it is well established. With that small of a tank, I would stay away from almost all the afore mentioned fish. Once you get your 100gal and get it set up, then you are in a whole different ball game.

Yes, you can do a fish cycle. That's how the vast majority of aquariums in history have been cycled. It's very tough on the fish, though. Somewhat torturous, in fact. If you don't mind killing a few, go ahead with it.

Perhaps you need to do a little more research and/or reading? You can set-up an aquarium and not do a fishless cycle AND not torture the fish, if you know what you are doing, and you have access to the required materials and follow the proper procedure.

Thanks all this is loads of help please keep it coming :) also there have been some massive updates to my tank :) come and discuss further on the thread named Testing/Cycle in freshwater general :)

Back
Top Bottom