Cloudy water during fish in cycle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shellieca

Aquarium Advice Addict
If I remember correctly I read on AA that it is normal during the cycling of a tank to get some cloudy water, please let me know if this correct. I have 2 tanks in the cycling process both fish in. One is a 10g that has been cycling 2 weeks & has a Male Betta with a mystery snail, the other is a 46g that has been cycling 1 week & has 3 female Bettas, 2 CAE's & 2 mystery snails. Both for some reason in the last few days have developed slightly cloudy water, not bad but enough that you can tell its there. I test the water pretty much daily and have been averaging water changes every 2-3 days, the 46g has had a water change 2 days in a row, about 50%. Seems to help a little but within 24 hrs it's gets cloudier. Anything I should be worried about or should do differently? I use Prime with my water changes.

A bacterial bloom common in new tanks. Nothing to worry about, it will go away in a couple of days to a week or two.

Yes it is normal, it will magically clear up one day, unfortunately there isn't much you can do about it except be patient, the good news is, this usually only happens towards the end of a cycle, and it sounds like you're doing everything right

Kinda piggybacking for info here, but just wondering then if the 50% water changes were necessary? I'm about to start my own fish-in cycle tomorrow.

FlyAnglerFishKeeper said:
Kinda piggybacking for info here, but just wondering then if the 50% water changes were necessary? I'm about to start my own fish-in cycle tomorrow.

Not really, water changes don't often help with a bacterial bloom. It may look a bit more clear for a short while but usually clouds right up again. During a fish-in cycle you let your water test tell you when it is time for an extra PWC, which you may or may not have to do daily or more. Maintain a weekly water change routine and test daily.

It all depends on your readings. If my readings for ammonia or nitrIte are higher I do a bigger water change. Once you get going you'll understand it better because you'll see first hand what we're talking about. I think the average PWC is at least 25%. If you don't have the API Master test kit I'd get it. Good luck with you're cycling. :thumbs:

Oh i also suggest you use Prime for you water conditioner. My 1st fish in cycle I had no clue what I was doing & I lost one fish a week into it. There were days I didn't have time to do PWC's, I'd dose with Prime & never lost another fish. NOT the way it should be done but it worked.

Back
Top Bottom