Crazy parameters whilst cycling—please help!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

veiltailscales

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I’m at a complete loss and could really use some help.

It’s Day 7 of the fishless cycle on my heavily planted 5 gallon tank with Fluval Stratum substrate.

I’ve been dosing Dr Tim’s Ammonium Chloride to 2ppm and using Microbe-Lift Nite Out II.

I stopped dosing Dr Tim’s three days ago. Two days ago, my ammonia level stopped decreasing. However, my nitrites and nitrates are both high.

• I’ve tested my water’s KH (1 degree) and GH (7 degrees).
  • Ammonia is still at 2ppm.
  • Nitrite is somewhere around 3.5 and 4ppm. It was at the same level yesterday.
  • Nitrate was 40ppm yesterday but looks like it’s dropped back down 20ppm.

I stopped dosing Microbe-Lift Nite Out II two days ago.

How can nitrite be high if the ammonia isn’t dropping? I’d expected the plants to process some of the ammonia.

Should I forget the Microbe Lift Nite Out and stick some Tetra SafeStart in there instead? (After a water change?)

Or perhaps my low KH is affecting the process, and I should add baking soda or crushed coral to bring it up?

Most people seem to have no readings for ages when cycling—mine don’t seem to want to go down!!

Either that or this is entirely normal and I’m annoying and impatient and should just leave it alone. Only problem is, I have a betta ordered from a breeder that’s due to arrive late next week.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Not sure what to do here!

My simplistic solution, which works for me, is to just leave everything alone for a month or six weeks. No chemicals, no additives, no baking soda, nothing. It will cycle.

The article referenced by 1midniterider will be the most help.

You need some source of ammonia to feed bacteria or they will not really grow. You need to feed them so they multiply to a degree which would be able to take care of your fish's poo and excess food waste.

Back
Top Bottom