cycle just will not start!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
again, did a test, 1 ppm ammonia, 0 trites, 40 ish nitrates which could be reading high.

I am at my wits end, it is almost 9 weeks fish in and not a single thing has changed since day 1, I have been patient but after 9 weeks it would seem like something should have been happening.

again, did a test, 1 ppm ammonia, 0 trites, 40 ish nitrates which could be reading high.

I am at my wits end, it is almost 9 weeks fish in and not a single thing has changed since day 1, I have been patient but after 9 weeks it would seem like something should have been happening.

It took me 6+ months. Just don't worry about it. Enjoy your fish.

progress! slow progress but progress none the less.

did a test yesterday and it showed my ammonia dropping, checked again today, ammonia still dropping, and now nitrites have finally appeared, so the ammonia phase took me 9 weeks, I am dreading to see how long the nitrite phase will take since I hear it can take a lot longer than the ammonia phase.

progress! slow progress but progress none the less.

did a test yesterday and it showed my ammonia dropping, checked again today, ammonia still dropping, and now nitrites have finally appeared, so the ammonia phase took me 9 weeks, I am dreading to see how long the nitrite phase will take since I hear it can take a lot longer than the ammonia phase.

My ammonia phase was 4 months, nitrite was only 2 months.

So after further testing I am indeed into the nitrate phase which is great! However.... As of a few days ago there is a brown algae like substance covering all my decor and fake plants, what is this and what is the cause and cure?

Also, I know plecos grow huge, but I love algae eaters, is there a smaller one i could keep in a 29 gallon tank?

So after further testing I am indeed into the nitrate phase which is great! However.... As of a few days ago there is a brown algae like substance covering all my decor and fake plants, what is this and what is the cause and cure?

Also, I know plecos grow huge, but I love algae eaters, is there a smaller one i could keep in a 29 gallon tank?

Diatoms and very very common in a new tank. Don't do ANYTHING. It will go away on it's own.

A lot of times people cause more problems by trying to solve a problem that is self limiting. Meaning it will resolve without any intervention.

A bristlenose pleco would be perfect for a 29 gallon and they do eat brown algae. But it is not necessary for this issue and you would definitely want to feed then algae wafers and fresh veggied like zucchini.

so I think my cycle is done, I cant really be sure.

I was hovering around 1 - 1.5 ppm ammonia as per the norm, then a few days ago I tested the water and the ammonia was dropping, the next day I checked the nitrites and they were off the charts really really high, so I did 2 back to back water changes and waited, the next day I tested my tank and there is zero ammonia and zero nitrites, these have held steady at zero for a day and a half now.

however, as I posted in another thread, I can not get my nitrate test to read anything but 20 - 80 ppm, it has read this from day one, my tap water also reads the same, so I really cant say for sure I have nitrates however I did take some tank water into the LFS and they proceeded to use a strip test, and it showed that I have no ammonia, no nitrites, and around 15 - 20 nitrates, can I trust these results since supposedly strips stink?

Back
Top Bottom