Cycle not complete ...doh!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kaiofcanada

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I recently upgraded to a 20 gallon aquarium and used the gravel and water from an established 5 gallon in addition to new gravel to cycle the new tank. The filtration system, however, is brand new. I added a wild guppy to the tank for a week and had my local pet store test my water every other day to water the cycle. I was told everything looked perfect for adding fish and that my cycle appeared to be complete. I added three quarter size angelfish to the tank. They seemed happy and the water clear for about a week now, but two days ago the water went cloudy and remains so today.

I performed a 20% water change yesterday, which did not appear to have much of an effect. I have tested the nitrate, nitrite and ammonia levels, and also had the pet store test them. Both tests confirmed the range was ideal for all except the nitrates are a little high. Both ammonia and nitrates were almost undetectable. So why such cloudy water. Is this just bacterial bloom?

I wanted to avoid this new tank syndrome with fish in the tank and so waiting a week to add any, but it seems my plan was foiled. I currently do not have another tank that is established to move the fish into. They do not appear stressed in any way. I did not feed them yesterday to avoid adding to the problem. Any advice on what I should do until the cloudyness subsides? I plan to do another water change tomorrow (20%).

If its white cloudy then id say a bacterial bloom is happening and will clear up on its own, Angels are alot hardier then people give them credit for, minus the blushing ones for some reason.

Id let it be for a week, test three days from now and again in 7 days, you should be fine.

5g of gravel is 25% of the 20g not enough good bacteria on that gravel to keep the water clear. you can rinse a used filter pad in WC tank water and put it in the filter you have on the 20g and it will help, maybe bring you to about 40-45% good bacteria to help out.

Gups and angels poop alot, I usually count them as 1.5 per fish per gallon as far as bioload is concerned. What size filter do you have atleast a 30g right?

also during that week of no fish, what did you feed the bacteria with?

That week alone might have starved what little bacteria there was to death and you are basically starting over without that intention, even a pinch of flakes a day during no fish in the tank will keep the tank in check. Ive learned this thru setting up my own tanks, hence my comment about angels, not to mention my 4 tank cycling team of 3 year old neons.

Lots of good information there!

Yes, it is white cloudy. I am posting a picture...you can compare it to the week before in my gallery. I suspected after I saw the cloudiness that the 5gal gravel may not have been enough. Also, the only food given was to the lone guppy and not much extra, so you may be point on about the other bacteria starving a bit. I don't think that little guppy leaves any food for anything else if given the chance.

My filter system is for a 30 gallon and I have increased its flow a bit since the cloudyness, although I am not sure this will help any. The filtration system I have is new and uses a different set of filters. It's a three part system....much improved from the old tank, so I can't use an old filter to help out. My other tank is an eclipse variety with filter and hood all as one. Any other suggestions?

Would adding some bacteria to the tank help? I noticed my local fish store sells bottles of this, but I am not sure adding more bacteria to bacterial bloom is such a good idea.:confused:

I will take your advice and test again in three and seven days.

As a side question...I recently got a frill plant (aka common milfoil) and noticed my angels, but not the guppy like eating it and swimming through it. All three seem fascinated with this plant. But I was unaware that angelfish ate plants. Have you ever seen this? I have 4 other types of plants beside the frill and they do not nitice those at all? The plant is healthy and has tons of foiliage. It does not seem damaged by their picking at it...I just found it strange.

Attachments

• 546.jpg
    546.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 57
they might be missing something in their diet, what do you feed them?

thats a bacterial bloom, ive ridden many of those out.

I feed them a diet of Tetramin tropical crisps crunched up, alternate with the crushed tropical flakes, freeze dried bloodworms by topfin, frozen bloodworms by Sally's, and aquarian brand algea chips, which they devour. I feed the flakes or crisps daily and frozen bloodworms every two days and dried only once....they dont seem to like the freeze dried worms. I give them a half of an algea chip once a week. Am I missing something?

I am new to keeping anglefish, so any suggestions are welcome.

Are you sure he/she is actually eating the plants or just nibbling at things that land on the leaves? My koi angel picks at my java moss occasionally, usually he is just trying to get to some flakes that landed in it.

Back
Top Bottom