Cycle Stalled?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bflem

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have been doing a fish-in cycle for about 2.5 weeks now. My nitrite has spiked already and I have nitrates. The last few days I keep getting the same reading though:

Ammonia 0.25 PPM
Nitrite 1.0 PPM
Nitrate 20 - 40 PPM (Hard to tell between those colors)

I seeded my tank with material from my other established aquariums before I started the cycle. Do I need to do anything to keep it moving or just keep doing water changes and water testing?

It could be stalled. What size tank? When was the last time you did a water change and how much? Also, what fish do you have in the tank?

With that amount of nitrite and nitrate, I would do a large water change. At least 75% to bring the nitrite down to .25%. Then another 50% the next day to lower it more. You really don't want ammonia or nitrite to rise above .25 with fish as it can be harmful for them. Anything above .5 can be deadly. Fish-in cycling is a lot of work. Using seeded media from established tanks can definitely help speed up the cycle, but it doesn't guarantee an immediate cycle.

Good luck! Hope I've been of some help lol

It's a 125 gallon tank. I do one water change of about 30 - 40 gallons per day. On the weekends I usually do two water changes of 30 gallons. My fish seem healthy. I have 6 rasboras, 3 white skirt tetras and somewhere around 25 cory cats in the tank currently. I knew it would take some work but it gives me a reason to play with the tank everyday.

Still, a large water change would bring down those nitrites and nitrates, while helping the cycle if it is stalled.

I looked into those but I'm not sure how I feel about them. It seems like you have to run water the whole time you are draining the tank and then more water to fill it. I would probably end up running my well dry after a large water change.

I don't believe that is how it works... I don't own one, but I've seen my lfs use theirs many times. It attaches to the sink faucet and can either remove water from the tank or put water in the tank, as well as run water straight into the sink. They first use it to remove water like a siphon. Then, they set the temp from the faucet to the temp of their tank, flip a switch-like mechinism, and it fills the tank.

You only run the water until you have a siphon going, then gravity does the rest. When I drain I actually don't hook it to the sink, I run it to the tub so i get quicker drainage/better use of gravity. Mine is a diy set up so I connect it to a regular gravel vac with an inline hand pump to start the siphon, then switch to the sink and remove the gravel vac at the tank end.

Sent from my LG-H631 using Tapatalk

You only run the water until you have a siphon going, then gravity does the rest. When I drain I actually don't hook it to the sink, I run it to the tub so i get quicker drainage/better use of gravity. Mine is a diy set up so I connect it to a regular gravel vac with an inline hand pump to start the siphon, then switch to the sink and remove the gravel vac at the tank end.

I love the sounds of “diy”...can I pm you about this? ?

Well in that case it seems like the way to go. As long as I have enough fall from the tank to the sink. It's probably 40 -50 ft away and around a corner.

My nitrite levels looked better this morning. The lowest I have seen yet. I'm thinking part of the problem could be my pH. It's pretty high (approx 7.8 - 8.0). There are a lot of new variables I am dealing with switching from city water to well water.

My pH runs about the same and we did a fish in cycle as well. It took a month before we were fully cycled. With seeded material you should be faster than that.

Sounds like you are on the right track.

[quote name="Johny" post=3340843]You only run the water until you have a siphon going, then gravity does the rest. When I drain I actually don't hook it to the sink, I run it to the tub so i get quicker drainage/better use of gravity. Mine is a diy set up so I connect it to a regular gravel vac with an inline hand pump to start the siphon, then switch to the sink and remove the gravel vac at the tank end. <br />
<br />
Sent from my LG-H631 using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]<br />
<br />
I love the sounds of “diy”...can I pm you about this? ?

Yes pm me. I might not be able to respond till later though

Bflem

You say as long as you have enough fall. That is exactly why i drain into the tub instead of the sink. My kitchen sink is way to high and i only got a trickle to flow. Bathroom sink was a little better, but still slow. Draining into the tub i get a lot better flow. My tub is between 35-40 ft from the tank and i have to go around a desk and turn through a doorway.

Back
Top Bottom