Cycle started on its own?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rangerbob86

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I just got a new 20 gallon tank. Installed filter and heater, and filled it up with tap water. It has a few fake decorations and plants in it. I also put half a cap of Prime in it for the chlorine. It is currently at 76-78 degrees. I've let the filter run and let it sit without touching it for about 48 hours. Just got my API master test kit and heres what it said:

pH - 8.0
Ammonia - 0 ppm
Nitrite - 5.0 ppm
Nitrate - 0 ppm

I'm not sure why the nitrite level is so high since I didn't do anything to begin the cycling. Is this normal? Should I begin with the partial water changes at this point? Thanks for any help!

That is odd! Can I ask if you are happy you got the test correct from the directions and also if you have checked tap water?

I tried the test twice, each with the same results. I made sure to follow the directions exactly.

I just tested the tap water nitrite level by putting it directly into a clean tube then adding the solution as the instructions state, and it was also 5.0 ppm! That worries me a bit...

Update: I just tried using filtered water from the front of my refrigerator and got 0 PPM nitrities. does that mean I should only use this water?

Yes....nitrite is 5.0 and nitrate is 0. as well as ammonia being 0. I find that strange as well. I just posted this above as an update, but I just tried using filtered water from the front of my refrigerator and got 0 PPM nitrities...

Its a Whirlpool 4396841 PUR filter. It says:

It's NSF-certified to reduce cysts, particulates (class I), lead, mercury, and more. (The contaminants or other substances removed or reduced by this water filter are not necessarily in all users' water.) While it effectively removes contaminants from your water and ice, this filter also lowers the taste and odor of chlorine while retaining beneficial fluoride.

I would suggest using the filtered water from the fridge. The only quandary is that 1. you will have to heat it before putting it in the tank and 2. The filtering process might take out minerals that the fish need. I think a solution to number one would be to just let it sit at room temp for an hour. Number two, there are products you can buy to put minerals back into the water. Hope this helped!

Hmm, in theory for fish-less cycle having a few ppm of nitrite would be good as you can build up the bb to convert the nitrite to nitrate right from the start.

At the same time, the bb to convert ammonia to nitrite would building and provide nitrite feed. Hopefully that makes sense on the ammonia-nitrite-nitrate cycle?

For ongoing water changes with fish the filtered water would be better, just need to understand what the filter is removing.

Yea that makes sense. After more testing of the fridge water, this is what I've come up with:

Currently in Aquarium:
pH - 8.0
Ammonia - 0 ppm
Nitrite - 5.0 ppm
Nitrate - 0 ppm

Tap Water:
pH - 7.8
Ammonia - 1 ppm
Nitrite - 5 ppm
Nitrate - 5 ppm

Fridge Water:
pH - 7.8
Ammonia - 0 ppm
Nitrite - 0 ppm
Nitrate - 5 ppm

Again, the aquarium is tap water thats been sitting for 48 hours and has a bit of Prime in it…

Do you have a gh/kh test kit all? That might show if the filter is making the water very soft. I'm not sure if you would need to re-mineralise on water from fridge filters if anyone may know?

Yikes, are you on city water? They are in violation with nitrites like that.

That's actually awesome for your aquarium though, just like Delapool said. You'll need to figure something else out by the time you get fish but having nitrites in right at the start of your cycle is going to speed it up a lot. Get some ammonia and get going!

First of all I would check your suppliers web site and see what nitrites are on that. If it doesn't say 5ppm then there is obviously something wrong. It could be pipes from the main feed to your hose. I don't know I'm just guessing there. If there is a difference though it needs questioning. Also if there isn't then I would phone up anyway and question the high nitrites.

I just got a new 20 gallon tank. Installed filter and heater, and filled it up with tap water. It has a few fake decorations and plants in it. I also put half a cap of Prime in it for the chlorine. It is currently at 76-78 degrees. I've let the filter run and let it sit without touching it for about 48 hours. Just got my API master test kit and heres what it said: pH - 8.0 Ammonia - 0 ppm Nitrite - 5.0 ppm Nitrate - 0 ppm I'm not sure why the nitrite level is so high since I didn't do anything to begin the cycling. Is this normal? Should I begin with the partial water changes at this point? Thanks for any help!

I'd say put some source of ammonia in the tank... either fish or fish less and get the cycle going.

Thanks for the replies everyone. For those who says the nitrities are good for the start and to add some ammonia and get going, how would I go about water changes and actually lowering the nitrite level once fish are added? if I add a fish to start the cycle, is that going to be way too much nitrite for it?

You will not be able to fish-in cycle, no. The nitrites are dangerous.
We were suggesting that you can add pure ammonia and do a fishless cycle, but basically you are doing that while you wait to get the nitrite issue figured out with the city.

We were suggesting that you can add pure ammonia and do a fishless cycle, but basically you are doing that while you wait to get the nitrite issue figured out with the city.

Technically you could fish in cycle but you would have to dose prime every 24 hours which is not practical. Also nitrates would become uncontrollable if you were adding 5ppm nitrites every water change.

+1 - safest way to go.

Back
Top Bottom