Cycle trouble

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Axolotlquestion

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I’m doing a fishless cycle on my 20g tank in the hopes of introducing an axolotl. After dechlorinating, I used fritz turbo, and have been using the fish food method, rather than dosing with ammonia. I’m about a week and a half in and I have no reading for ammonia, nitrate, or nitrite, but my pH seems to have gone from around 7.2 to 6.8. I know the API master test for nitrate is tricky and it’s possible that my Kermit arms aren’t up to the task, but I would think I would have other readings given the amount of decaying matter (some of which is getting furry) in the tank. The tank has two anubias in driftwood, three 1” moss balls, an air rock on low, and a carbon back of the tank filter (will switch to sponge if axolotl is stressed, but the current isn’t very strong). Temp has been in the mid 70s while I cycle, but I’ll eventually add a chiller. What’s going on here? Please help.

Attachments

• 542C2F0B-297D-4A5D-B0B5-75FA216C6BF6.jpg
    542C2F0B-297D-4A5D-B0B5-75FA216C6BF6.jpg
    253.4 KB · Views: 17
Either there something wrong with your testing or you arent adding enough ammonia to register. Get a 2nd opinion on your tests or switch to an aquarium specific ammonium chloride product like Dr Tims One and Only so you know precisely how much ammonia is going in and can compare it with your test results.

Back
Top Bottom