Cycling

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dom11

Aquarium Advice Regular
I'm getting a tank soon and I am pretty certain how to cycle the tank but so many websites say different things such as, cycle for 48 hours and some say a week. What else should I add other than water conditioner? Or is that pretty much it for chemicals?

I am very new to this which means I've read a lot but don't know much, so take with a grain of (aquarium safe) salt....

First, read the topics in the sticky at the top of this forum.

Decide on fishless vs. fish-in. You decide; it's a bit of a religious thing on the internet. But if fish-in, be sure you get very hardy fish. I did fish-in, and had no issues, and no obvious stress on the fish, but many, many fish die during a cycle (from what I read).

Mine (a 45g tank) took a solid month to cycle. That's with starter bacteria as well. From my reading I don't believe any of these instant cycle claims. It's like instant garden -- you can plant from seeds (no fancy safe-start cycle addon) or you can plant from small shoots. Both get a garden, one a bit quicker, but both have to wait for growth; one is a slight head start.

The bigger the tank the longer the process but the less erratic it is likely to be (really sharp spikes).

Water changes slow down the cycle.

If fishless cycle do not change water during (you'll get arguments on this also).

If fish-in cycle, only change water if the ammonia or nitrites get high enough to seriously endanger the fish. Reconsider this advice in a very small tank, though.

Be patient. I wasn't (hence I did fish-in before even learning the alternative, though in retrospect and reading I'm not convinced fish-in is bad). It takes a lot longer than any marketing claim.

Be VERY careful of water you add to the tank, it is very easy to kill the bacteria that is growing for your cycle. Treat chlorinated water before adding to your tank, and let it sit a bit (you'll get lots of advice to add tap water to the tank, then add Prime or similar for the whole tank -- clearly you are dosing the beneficial bacteria with chlorine (assuming you are on a chlorinated source) however briefly, which can't be good).

When cleaning the filter or anything else that is home for this good bacteria, only clean it in aquarium (treated) water, never tap water, for the same reason.

Thanks that was helpful! We'll I've ordered a new 54 litre tank, 11/12 gallons. There will be no fish in the tank when cycling I will buy them after and I will buy some bacteria

And buy ammonia. You need to maintain a pretty high (2-3ppm) level of ammonia until it is cycled. Lots of formulae on the internet for converting % ammonia to ppm, but you also need a liquid (not strip - inaccurate I'm told) test kit to be sure as you add ammonia you don't go either too high and kill the bacteria, or too low and starve them. Be sure it's pure/dilute ammonia, not a cleaning product with anything else added.

Where can I get this from and where do I put it. I'm the tank or filter?

Where can I get this from and where do I put it. I'm the tank or filter?

I didn't do this so this is all from reading not experience, but you should be able to buy it at a hardware store, cleaning supply place, etc. It's not really an aquarium product (though I guess a live fish store MIGHT carry it). Really cheap, you'll probably have to get at least a liter and then use only a tiny fraction of that.

But make sure it doesn't have other ingredients.

For a fish-in cycle, you are relying on fish excrement and decaying food, etc. to provide. For a fish-less cycle you need to do it yourself (well, I have read of people trying to use things like decaying food but that seems rather silly when ammonia is so readily available).

Note you need good media for the bacteria to grow on/in, which is usually the sponges and other non-carbon media in the filter. Carbon (if you use it at all, and you shouldn't need to during a fish-less cycle) is replaced, but the other media stays and holds the bacteria you grew. Very little of it is in the water, it is on stuff... so some is on rocks and sand (if you have any), etc., but in smaller tanks the key place is usually the filter.

Whatever you do, after it cycles, don't suddenly clean out all that ugly gunk and sterilize it. :ermm:

If you are committed to fishless, be committed to patience while it goes on. It's really boring.

PS. I'd suggest a complete test kit, like the API Master Freshwater Test Kit. You want to test for ammonia to make sure you're keeping it just right, and after a bit start testing nitrites, then later nitrates. You should see nitrites start to rise, stay high for a while, then fall. As they start to fall the nitrates come up. eventually Ammonia disappears quickly (don't overdo dosing once you see nitrites, ammonia may drop rapidly after adding), and nitrites will also start to disappear quickly, and all that is left is nitrates. When that happens you are cycled.

In the tank or filter?

Sorry... just drop into the tank where it will get circulated. Don't put it directly onto filter media as it might be too strong there.

With all things for water treatment (short of spot treating with a pipette), you want to add adjusting chemicals slowly, diluted well, and make sure you have good circulation.

PS. If you are going to have gravel or other background, plastic plants, etc. add them at the beginning as well. Some of the good bacteria will grow on them also. Most people seem to say add real plants (if you plan for them) at the beginning also.

I would add real plants but it seems far too complicated to keep them alive

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom