Cycling 75gal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

t_evan50

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Its been 4 weeks since I setup my 75 gal tank and started my fishless cycle. Its my first attempt at it so I spent an insane amount of time researching before I started. I followed all the basic guidelines laid out by various posts on the forum. My problem is its been 4 weeks and I still have no decrease in ammonia level (which is at 4ppm) and no trace of nitrites. I used stress coat to remove the chlorine after filling and even let it set up and running for 24 hours before adding the ammonia (100% hardware store ammonia). I'm using API master test kit which is only a couple months old, to take my readings. I'm not really that impatient with it, I just would like to know if this is normal. After searching all over the web i'm having trouble coming up with people that have had a similar situation. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

some times its slower some times faster. what i would do is go to your lfs and ask for a handful of gravel. that will boost and should speed up your cycle. good luck.

I meant to mention that I did add a handfull of gravel from a friends tank that has been established and healthy for over 2 years at the end of the first week. I know this should help things along which has increased my concern.

see if he can give you his filter media... that would be the fastest thing possible... if you do this method.. make sure you keep it in tank water the entire trip

My 75g just started cycling after over a month. Give it more time, I was starting to lose faith but then one day that nitrite test turned purple and it felt goooooood.

Well I am glad to hear that someone else's has taken this long hopefully mine will start soon. I'll have to see if my buddy will mind me borrowing some filter media to hopefully speed things up. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom