cycling advice?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

devdav

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi I just started my 30g brackish tank 5 weeks ago. I was cycling without fish for 3 weeks. 2 weeks ago I put fish in. One of witch I don't know the exact species but it's a freshwater Morey and the other was a green spotted puffer. I'm currently going threw the tanks cycle and lost the puffer today. I'm in the second stage of the cycle, the ammonia is now down and the NO2 is way up and this has been going on for the last 4 days. I've been doing 15% wc daily till the NO2 spiked then I did 30%wc daily but still lost the puffer. I don't want to lose the eel to. I can't seem to get the NO2 levels down even with 30% wc. I've noticed the water gets cloudy when this spike occurs. Any advice would be appreciated. Oh and I think the eel my be a g.tile but unsure. He's probably about 24 inches in length and looks way better than he did when I got him 2 weeks ago. The LPS said he was a pink lipped morey but I think they thought that because he was in poor health. He eats shrimp and loves it.

Thanks for trying though. I've researched but can't find anything that's why I tried this forum

Sent from my SM-N910T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Hi I just started my 30g brackish tank 5 weeks ago. I was cycling without fish for 3 weeks. 2 weeks ago I put fish in. One of witch I don't know the exact species but it's a freshwater Morey and the other was a green spotted puffer. I'm currently going threw the tanks cycle and lost the puffer today. I'm in the second stage of the cycle, the ammonia is now down and the NO2 is way up and this has been going on for the last 4 days. I've been doing 15% wc daily till the NO2 spiked then I did 30%wc daily but still lost the puffer. I don't want to lose the eel to. I can't seem to get the NO2 levels down even with 30% wc. I've noticed the water gets cloudy when this spike occurs. Any advice would be appreciated. Oh and I think the eel my be a g.tile but unsure. He's probably about 24 inches in length and looks way better than he did when I got him 2 weeks ago. The LPS said he was a pink lipped morey but I think they thought that because he was in poor health. He eats shrimp and loves it.

3 weeks is usually the time it takes for nitrites to peak. Basically you added fish at the nitrite peak. If you were dosing 4ppm ammonia and redosing when it dropped your nitrites will be of the charts. As per the current fish less cycle guide and having read copious amounts of fish less cycle problems I would estimate you were around the 20ppm Mark. If you think about it you would have to do 3 50% water changes just to see the colour change. You are only doing 15-30% which isn't enough.

Keep up with the water changes, they are you're best friend.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Thank you that's the best advice I've had so far. What % wc should I be doing in this stage? And how often. Water parameters are ph7.7, amonnia 0, no2 3.3 to 33 unsure since the color doesn't indicate but turns red before shaking up the vile. I've been using prime to test my water with every wc. My SG 1.010, thanks for the help

Don't know if this will be helpful or not. But I tanked my tank's cycle once and it got really bad. Last time it happened I had had to do three or four weeks of constant mantinance.

But last time I added a bottle of Tetra Safe Start and within three days the tank had stabelized. I've used it once since then to speed a new tank's cycle. So you might try that?

Thanks that could help I'll look into it. I did use nutrafin cycle and all use it as directed

Don't know if this will be helpful or not. But I tanked my tank's cycle once and it got really bad. Last time it happened I had had to do three or four weeks of constant mantinance.

But last time I added a bottle of Tetra Safe Start and within three days the tank had stabelized. I've used it once since then to speed a new tank's cycle. So you might try that?

Did you use anything from another tank. When starting the new one?

At what point in your first cycle dol did you decide to add TSS?

Thank you that's the best advice I've had so far. What % wc should I be doing in this stage? And how often. Water parameters are ph7.7, amonnia 0, no2 3.3 to 33 unsure since the color doesn't indicate but turns red before shaking up the vile. I've been using prime to test my water with every wc. My SG 1.010, thanks for the help

you need to cut them in half so 50% prime detoxifies ammonia and nitrite for 24 hours so that will have helped. They will still show up on the charts though because it's still they're just non toxic.

What salt are you adding to keep the water brackish?

I use instant ocean but I don't know the difference between brands and was thinking of changing the brand soon because of price. Any advice on salt?

And when you say cut them in half what are you referring to

NO2 nitrite. I'm still on the second phase of the cycle

NO2 nitrite. I'm still on the second phase of the cycle

50% water changes would cut them in half 3.3 we could become 1.65. Another 50% would then make them 0.825ppm

Oh I see now. But what about the cycle? Will that affect it?

No. The tank will cycle regardless. It's an inevitable process. The most important thing is to keep the fish safe. Keep testing for all parameters. You are nearing the end. Soon you will have 0ppm ammonia 0ppm nitrite and a small reading of nitrates.

If you decide to add more fish afterwards. Stock the tank slowly.

Ok thanks I really appreciate the ease of mind you have granted me. Once it cycles I planned on getting a gsp and a brackish catfish to help keep the bottom clean. Do you think it would be advisable to add both once it does cycle?

Back
Top Bottom