Cycling bacteria clarification?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bubbaboy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
How long does it take for bacteria, once established, to convert the ammonia to nitrites?

I dosed my tank to 3 ppm and I'm just wondering how long it should take for it to convert. (24 hours??)

It depends on the situation. If your fishless cycling to 3-4ppm, once well established, your tank should be able to fully convert the dose to nitrate in 24 hours or less.

It depends on the situation. If your fishless cycling to 3-4ppm, once well established, your tank should be able to fully convert the dose to nitrate in 24 hours or less.

Exactly, the amount of established bacteria will determind how fast it coverts different amounts of ammonia.

For example to quote jlk, dosing and cycling at 3-4ppm of ammonia will mean 3-4ppm will convert in less than 24hrs. If you're fishless cycling a tank i would recommend 4-5ppm doses, this way when you add fish the bacteria will handle the bioload of ammonia theyre creating. If your fish are creating less ammonia than what the tank has been cycled too, over time the bacteria will slowly downsize to accommodate the amount of ammonia now being created in the tank.

Back
Top Bottom