Cycling freshwater

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Savannasfish

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello! I am new to the freshwater hobby and im wondering how to properly cycle a new tank. Is it similar to saltwater? Adding ammonia until the tank figured it out itself? Thank you for helping!

Broadly speaking there are 2 methods.

Fish in cycle. Put a small number of hardy fish. Control ammonia and nitrites with regular water changes until the tank is cycled sufficiently for those fish. Then add a few more, rinse and repeat until you are stocked.

Fishless cycle. Dose ammonia and test daily until your tank can process 2ppm ammonia to 0ppm ammonia and nitrites in 24 hours.

Broadly speaking there are 2 methods.

Fish in cycle. Put a small number of hardy fish. Control ammonia and nitrites with regular water changes until the tank is cycled sufficiently for those fish. Then add a few more, rinse and repeat until you are stocked.

Fishless cycle. Dose ammonia and test daily until your tank can process 2ppm ammonia to 0ppm ammonia and nitrites in 24 hours.

Ok. I did the fishless cycle for my saltwater. I like that method. I put a raw shrimp in for ammonia, can I do the same or no? Or should I add like bottles of ammonia. Also I plan on making this a planted tank, should I add plants after it cycles?

You can use either . I use pure ammonia cause it is easier to dose certain amounts and less mess than a shrimp .

No, you dont need to add any live rock. Beneficial bacteria will grow on any surfaces in the system, filter media, substrate, rocks, plants, the aquarium glass. I try to work on 1kg of filter media per 100 litres of water.

With regards to planting, you can either plant before or after cycling. Planting in an empty tank is easier as you arent dealing with plants trying to float to the surface while you are getting them rooted. But, the plants will take up some of the ammonia you are dosing to fuel the cycle, so it might lengthen the process.

This is the first video of a low tech planted tank project, have a look through the series. It got me started on planted tanks.

https://youtu.be/66Xt4qglbNc

No, you dont need to add any live rock. Beneficial bacteria will grow on any surfaces in the system, filter media, substrate, rocks, plants, the aquarium glass. I try to work on 1kg of filter media per 100 litres of water.

With regards to planting, you can either plant before or after cycling. Planting in an empty tank is easier as you arent dealing with plants trying to float to the surface while you are getting them rooted. But, the plants will take up some of the ammonia you are dosing to fuel the cycle, so it might lengthen the process.

This is the first video of a low tech planted tank project, have a look through the series. It got me started on planted tanks.

https://youtu.be/66Xt4qglbNc

Ahh ok thank you so much! This was very helpful!

Back
Top Bottom