Cycling help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sillyfishies

Aquarium Advice Addict
My aquariums been cycling for 24 days. My API master test kit just came in. Here's results

Ammonia: either 0 ppm or .25 ppm
Nitrites: 0 ppm
Nitrates: 0 ppm

Shouldn't I have nitrites by now? Also if the ammonias at 0 where'd it go (fish in cycling)

Edit* after asking 2 people were thinking it's. In between but leaning toward 0

Attachments

• image-770735186.jpg
    image-770735186.jpg
    126.3 KB · Views: 45
A little more info might help. Is this the first time you're testing the tank at all? Without a history it's hard to say. You may have enough ammonia bacteria to consume the ammonia; it's possible the nitrites came and went and you missed it but usually you'd have nitrates. Shake and bang both nitrate bottles for 30 seconds and then shake the tube vigorously for a full minute and wait 5 minutes for the results; this test is tricky and if you don't do it correctly it can cause false readings. What size tank and what fish? Did you add any seeded media from another tank or anything similar?

librarygirl said:
A little more info might help. Is this the first time you're testing the tank at all? Without a history it's hard to say. You may have enough ammonia bacteria to consume the ammonia; it's possible the nitrites came and went and you missed it but usually you'd have nitrates. Shake and bang both nitrate bottles for 30 seconds and then shake the tube vigorously for a full minute and wait 5 minutes for the results; this test is tricky and if you don't do it correctly it can cause false readings. What size tank and what fish? Did you add any seeded media from another tank or anything similar?

Not the first time. I've always only seen ammonia. I thought I did the nitrates right. I'll retry later. My tank is 27 gallon 4 zebra danios (used to be 5). And no seeded material

What's your PH by the way? Low PH can stall things but if it's a fish-in cycle and you've been doing regular water changes the PH should be OK but it's always good to check. You might just be ending the ammonia phase in which case the nitrites should follow.

librarygirl said:
What's your PH by the way? Low PH can stall things but if it's a fish-in cycle and you've been doing regular water changes the PH should be OK but it's always good to check. You might just be ending the ammonia phase in which case the nitrites should follow.

Ph is 7.6

Ok that's good. I'd say give it more time. Nitrites typically show in week 3 and you're not that far into that and every tank is different, just keep testing and doing pwc as needed, seems like you're doing very well ;)

librarygirl said:
Ok that's good. I'd say give it more time. Nitrites typically show in week 3 and you're not that far into that and every tank is different, just keep testing and doing pwc as needed, seems like you're doing very well ;)

I do a 25% weekly..:

Is it the ammonia or the nitrate test that smells like eggs?

Edit* it's the nitrate. Blech. Waiting the 5 minutes. It looks like a dark yellow unlike the bright yellow on the thing. Could I maybe have some nitrates?

Edit*** yes it definitely has some orange to it! I think I'm nearly cycled. I'll take my water in to the LFS soon and have them see.

Back
Top Bottom