Cycling Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

creno9210

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have been trying to make a new post, or even reply to any comments I've seen, and for some reason, this site wouldnt let me... anywhoo! FINALLYYYYYYY

Okay, So I have a 29 freshwater with one pleco, one chinese algae eater and 5 Giant Danio. I've almost finished the cycle, the nitrites or nitrates, sorry I cant remeber, is VERY high.. Just need to keep doing water changes to get that under control (I blame my one year old for taking my time away!)

Ok, So tomorrow I'm buying a 35 gallon tank with stand.
didnt come with filter or heater or anything, so I just bought all that crao online tonight.

I just bought a
HOT Magnum 250 - (250 GPH) canister filter,

i've never had one, but thats besides the point....

I'm wondering how I can cycle my tank faster. Should I put the canister into my 29 gallon, even though its not done cycling, and use the filter I have in there on the tank I'm about to set up? Would that help speed things up or would that just mess everything up?

I like the idea of using the canister in my old tank because giant danios like the current, or so I've read....

Any advice is LOVED.
<3 thanks!:brows:

ALSO,
I'll be moving in a year. I just have a question. I cant find anything online.
If I kept my filter media and sealed it in a bag, how long would the bacteria survive? It would be sealed with my tank water.

thanks!

Seeding will help.

The bacteria can survive for a quite a long time (months) with a food source. O2 is a bit more tricky. I've had the canister filter turned off for a day or two with no issues (no ammonia increase). I've also had it turned off for a week and got a real rotten egg as smell when switching it back on. Ended up cleaning the filter - I suspect a week was too long and the water went from aerobic to anaerobic.

Transporting filter media in a sealed bag makes sense but when you've moved put the media and tank water into a bucket. Lift out the media to let it drain once a day to aerate it. It should be good for a week.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom